NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've searched a lot of different threads but none that i found are leaking where this is leaking from.

the car will leak out almost if not all of the coolant within a couple of days of sitting or within driving it. it started as a slow leak in front on the driver's side but could never find where it is, so i thought it was just a leaky hose no big deal. just add a little every once in a while. went on vacation and came back to a big puddle in driveway and bubble empty and radiator missing some also, we were away for about a week. still nothing that looks like it has puked alot of coolant out.

i have looked at every inch and the only thing i can see is that it is leaking or collecting at the bottom drain plug and not running down the hose from the engine just there.

need help fast i go back to work and she has to start driving again and this is her car.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hard to believe with that much coolant leak it isn't showing up somewhere. And to just keep adding G12 coolant at a gazzilion dollars a gallon...

You're no doubt going to loose a lot of coolant fixing whatever IS leaking, so go buy a couple gallons of distilled water, fill it up, start it up, put something under the front end to obtain a better visual of where the water is dripping, and let it run and build pressure, or you should be able to shop around and find an adapter to pressurize the system without it running. If it leaks sitting, cold, it's going to leak way more warm and pressurized.

Btw, OObug... Cute, I like it, very fitting to the breed!

M.

·
Registered
20 Posts
leak

i've searched a lot of different threads but none that i found are leaking where this is leaking from.

the car will leak out almost if not all of the coolant within a couple of days of sitting or within driving it. it started as a slow leak in front on the driver's side but could never find where it is, so i thought it was just a leaky hose no big deal. just add a little every once in a while. went on vacation and came back to a big puddle in driveway and bubble empty and radiator missing some also, we were away for about a week. still nothing that looks like it has puked alot of coolant out.

i have looked at every inch and the only thing i can see is that it is leaking or collecting at the bottom drain plug and not running down the hose from the engine just there.

need help fast i go back to work and she has to start driving again and this is her car.
so the bottom of the drain plug on the raidator? No off the moter? If running down the outside of the hose from the moter, then check the coolant flange on the head. Otherwise, You could have a small hole in the raidator somplace and the coolant is dripping off the seald plug. or the plug could be somply leaking. (petcock) btw. However I am more inclined to beleve that the raidator is what is leaking if you never drained it before.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
My vote goes to check the coolant flange.

Also, do you see any white residue around the engine bay at all? I had a leak that was from the actual reservoir. Just something else to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts