NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 yr old daughter recently purchased a 2004 Beetle Convertible which she save up for for 2 years. The fuel door wont open.. We do the pry the credit card trick. When the door is open the switch works and the tab releases. However, it seems the spring is broken. So I went to the dealer and there are in fact 2 different springs you can buy for the fuel door. And they had no idea how they go in. Has anyone fixed heir door by changing the spring? If so, which spring and how did you replace it?? Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I hope you get a quick answer, but untill then...Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would guess there are two springs related to the fuel door, one to pop it up when the latch releases, and one to reset the latch. From your description I believe you are talking about the latch reset spring.

The spring you're looking for is inside the latch.

To get at it (this is on a regular Coupe but should work here)

1. Open the trunk
2. Pry open the plastic cover on the passenger side to get access to the tail light
3. Unscrew (CAREFUL to not drop the nut) the nut by hand.
4. From outside the car pull out the tail light and disconnect the electric and set it aside. You should be able to see the cable for the fuel door.
5. Open the fuel door and remove the clip holding the fuel door latch in place
6. From inside the tail light housing, pull the latch back and out.

You should be able to unscrew the top of that latch as I recall and see what is happening with the spring inside now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts