NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, long time "troller", new first time poster here.

I've read up on al the diy's and causes for the locks acting all goofy-like on the beetles.

The one I'm regretting ever caving in and buying is a 99.

Classic symptoms of the micro switch/s and or soldering problems in tr actuators.

My question, without dragging this on too much.... Has anyone tried the $40 eBay/jcwhitney actuators, or the other cheapo's that are out there? Rather than the Rediculous 200+ dollar options?

I plan on ordering the micro switches, V4NS-UL, and pulling both doors apart to "try" to repair them. But as neglected as this ole bag has been, I'm afraid once I get in there it'll be almost worth just spending $80 on a new actuator for both side.

On a side note......anyone ever re-upholstered these Front seats with donor originals? I've dug around for a pic writeup, but can't seem to find one for the nb.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I repaired mine without buying microswitches. The problem was just cracked solder joints. I used a soldering iron to remelt them on all the microswitches. That was 5 years ago. No more problems since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought One On E-Bay

I bought this one on e-bay for $125
Volkswagen Door Lock / Latch Assembly - Genuine / OE - 3B1837015AS

I think if you get the $40 latch you might have the same problem. I could be wrong, but they appear to have been revised over the years and made better.

It's a pain. Now I need one for the passengers side. And how about those fog lights? Another pain in the @ss.

Best of luck to you.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts