NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I am new to your forum, although I have been a member of Corvette Forum for 10 years and this one is very similar. My wife has been wanting a beetle convertible for some time, so in May of this year we bought a 2007 new beetle convertible.It is dark blue with a gray top and interior.The car is in very good shape with only 48,000 miles.We did not get a top boot with the car.Did new cars come with one or was this an option? Also in the trunk there was a solar battery charger.It has suction cups to attach to the windshield and a cord that looks like it plugs into the OBD port.Did this come with the car or was it purchased separately,or perhaps left in the trunk by mistake?I look forward to learning more about this car. Thanks for any help.:)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Should have had a boot cover. Shame on the PO for not keeping it with the car. The solar charger, is a left-by-mistake bonus. You can find boot cover for sale, sometimes here, and Ebay.

Welcome to the Org, and Have fun with the NBC! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I thought it should have had the boot cover. I have seen some for sale on e-bay.:thup:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Welcome!

Thanks for the reply. I thought it should have had the boot cover. I have seen some for sale on e-bay.:thup:
Welcome to the Org!

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

If you have a SAT ready factory radio head unit, you can get a 90 day free tril from Sirius XM. When you do a change of ownership with VW (a must for future recall and extended factory warranty notices), it updates to Sirius XM automatically and ultimately you'll get a flyer. Take advantage now, however, with a phone call
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/50722-free-3-months-siriusxm-sending-change-ownership-card.html?highlight=sirius

I also just learned you can run your VIN here to check for any open recall notices -
http://owners.vw.com/vww/vw_service/recalls.html

The boots were standard fare for a while, as I believe the windstop was also, but I think at some point in time, they became an option. Btw, I have numerous boots and windstops for sale, most in "as new" condition. A lot of the ones sold on eBay, are horribly misadvertised as like new. I have both a gray boot, with case with install instructions screened onto the case, and a virtually new gray boot.

The solar charger came in all the NBs from Mexico. VW discovered early on that there was a problem. They were put in at the factory, because of battery drain. Probably not so much for the time on the boat, as they were in a cargo hold anyway, but the yard time in both Mexico and Stateside. The newer ones do plug into the OBDII port and are great if the Bug is going toset for a week or more. Certain electronics, although in sleep mode, remain active, and do draw current, including the remote locking system and alarm.

Stay on top of the required maintenance schedule, knocking down things as they are due, and you should get many years out of the little Bug. While, pretty much a novelty car, they are a fun to drive, especially the NBC.

Like you I have a Corvette also, an '01 Vert, but it's anything but a daily. Magnetic Red, Light Oak interior and top, 9k on the clock.

MORAV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the info. If this forum is anything like the corvette forum it will be an invaluble source of information.I just bought oil and a filter and all the tools i'll need to change the oil,as it just rolled over on 50,000 miles.( I thought the vette was expensive!)I was gonna do it this weekend but it rained for three days solid thanks to tropical storm Lee.Would you rather I p.m. you for prices on the top boots? Good information on the charger, I didn't see anything about it in the owners manual.I thought my vette had low miles at 38,000 but it's practically worn out compaired to yours! Thanks again for your help...W.D.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Let me look at what I have in the boot and windstop, as I said (I promise), both are "as new". Btw, if anyone needs a replacement part for their windstop, I have them available also, and they are Big $$$ from VW. They (windstops and windstop parts) are all interchangeable from '03-'10, as are the boots.

All the Bugs were shipped with the chargers but the Dealers typically removed them when they received the cars. From all I have read, some passed them along with the cars, some gave them away, techs and make-ready ppl took some, and some Dealers sold them individually.

And yes, this is a very informative Forum, one of the best I have been on. You will also find this true of the Vortex forum, which many here are also members of.

Oil change, great, here's my (very opinionated) choice for oil. Most Dealers will use Castrol 5w40 Full Syn, I prefer Mobil 1 0w40 (the only true, major producer, Class 1 syn and a little easier to find). Both are VW approved oils (4.2 qts w/ standard filter). Don't question the 0w or 5w, just go with it. 5k intervals on the Turbo, 10k intervals on the 2.0. I've consumed one quart in 10k miles on my NBC 2.0.

I understand there is a (fairly new on the market) larger capacity filter that I am going to look into for my next change. There are a few threads around here or on the Vortex about it.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Used, but in "as new" condition -
Gray Boot $110 + $20 shipped anywhere in the Lower 48
Windstop w/ Case $135 + $20 shipped anywhere in the Lower 48

Take 'em both $225 + $30 shipped anywhere in the Lower 48

Please p/m me with interest as I may never see it here in your thread.

As always, "first paid, first sold"!

PayPal Only.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts