NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I posted here about a 5 speed swap for a 1998 2.0 a few days ago, I got another offer that landed in my lap. A family friends son wrecked a 2000 2.0 5 speed one a couple days ago, I have the chance to get parts dirt cheap from it. but here are my questions.
Will the 2.0 and 5 speed fit right in to the 1998 bug? (id replace the motor and trans, motor is my 1998 is blown and I don't want an auto anymore.) and because it is a manual instead of auto can I take the 2000 ecu and put it in the 1998 and will it work? or do I need to grab the wiring harness of the 2000 to fit to the 1998?
I would like opinions knowledge anything really, im not afraid of the work to do I just want to know if it will work.
Thank you guys soo much!!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Okay I posted here about a 5 speed swap for a 1998 2.0 a few days ago, I got another offer that landed in my lap. A family friends son wrecked a 2000 2.0 5 speed one a couple days ago, I have the chance to get parts dirt cheap from it. but here are my questions.
Will the 2.0 and 5 speed fit right in to the 1998 bug? (id replace the motor and trans, motor is my 1998 is blown and I don't want an auto anymore.) and because it is a manual instead of auto can I take the 2000 ecu and put it in the 1998 and will it work? or do I need to grab the wiring harness of the 2000 to fit to the 1998?
I would like opinions knowledge anything really, im not afraid of the work to do I just want to know if it will work.
Thank you guys soo much!!
From what I have read, the transmission should directly bolt up. Not sure bout the rest. I know someone will chime in, there are several who have done it, and several who are in the process.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have read, the transmission should directly bolt up. Not sure bout the rest. I know someone will chime in, there are several who have done it, and several who are in the process.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
that makes me feel good I may just buy the whole wrecked one and drop the whole drivetrain in for the heck of it cuz the wrecked one is newer and less miles and then keep the shell around for parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts