NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm trying to install an aftermarket head unit into my 98 beetle. I have the dash kit, harness dapter and antenna adapter, and I get the gist of how to install it, but I just want to make sure I have this down right. I still need more info on the k-wire

1) remove old unit, unplug wires from it

2) take the harness adapter and match up the wires to the new head unit. [I understand that the harness adapter is so that I don't need to cut off the plugs that are in the car]

3] splice, or solder, or crimp or do whatever it takes to connect the matched wires, and then either cover it in electrical tape or heat shrink it

4] take the antenna adapter and plug the male end into the new head unit

5] now that the adapting stuff is connected, take the plugs frm the car and connect to the adapter.

6] place head unit back into the dash and trim with the dash trim stuff

so what I'm missing though is what do I do with the blue wire attached to the antenna adapter? and I know there is the problem with the k-wire [I read the technical bulletin pdf about it] but I don't understand how I'm supposed to disconnect it...on the adapter and the new unit harness there are blue wires that have labels on them

adapter

I'd like your guys' help on this, and once its all figured out I want to do a how-to [with pictures] because I can't find a source on how to do this step by step anywhere, just bits and pieces of info on this forum and a couple others

just drove me nuts :confused:

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
do not use the blue wires in that harness.

on the harness that plugs into the back of the new radio, there will also be a blue wire. it will say "power antenna" or "amp turn on" in hte digram. connect it to that wire... and only connect those 2 blue wires together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do not use the blue wires in that harness.

on the harness that plugs into the back of the new radio, there will also be a blue wire. it will say "power antenna" or "amp turn on" in hte digram. connect it to that wire... and only connect those 2 blue wires together.
on the back of the new radio these are the two blue cables, one with a stripe [amp rem] and one without [ant rem]

does it matter which cable I connect the antenna adapter wire to?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a ton toad! :clap:

I'm going to work on this project and the how-to tomorrow after class

I will appreciate any other information about this install as well :heart:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts