NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Remy - 2008 New Beetle 2.5S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for anything regarding an antenna delete in the forum but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone done it before?

I ordered a wiper delete plug kit off eBay for a few bucks. I'm hoping that it fits. I'll post pics and an update once it comes in with measurements for anyone looking to do something similar in the future.

If you've done it or know someone who did please let me know how it was done.

Thanks!
-Tyler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, how did this go? Does it work alright with as good signal as the original?

I'm using a smaller "beesting" style one which looks a lot cleaner, but some radio stations seem to struggle to come though.

I did try the "shark fin" style one at one point, but it didn't look right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, how did this go? Does it work alright with as good signal as the original?

I'm using a smaller "beesting" style one which looks a lot cleaner, but some radio stations seem to struggle to come though.

I did try the "shark fin" style one at one point, but it didn't look right.
The idea with the delete in my case is having no antenna whatsoever - meaning no signal.
I personally don't listen to the radio and typically listen to podcasts or Spotify off my phone.

At this time I was unable to do the mod since it was too difficult to remove the antenna without taking the headliner out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for informal double post.

I did the antenna delete tonight out of boredom and after thinking through the best way to get the headliner out of the way enough to do it.

Sorry for not taking pictures of the process. It was a huge hassle and requires removing trim, the headliner half way and a metal plate of some sort. I put the plate back in and suggest anyone that tries this does as well as I read in a separate post that it's a structural piece in case of rollover, however, I cannot confirm this.

The plug I got is a wiper delete plug and required modification to make fit.
I did this by drilling the antenna hole with a step drill to 1" in diameter since that was a touch larger than the plug piece.

Please note if you do this there most likely is no chance you will be able to put the antenna back in or if you manage to it may not seal again. So do this at your own risk and only if you don't have an issue with not having am/fm radio (xm in some cases also).

It was dark when I finished up so more pics to come later.

Edited to add a daylight picture.
Thanks for checking it out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts