NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Beetle and I see some antifreeze under the car. Has anyone run into this problem and if so, is there a common fix ??

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Yeah, you have to figure out where it is coming from. Usually the G12 leaves a dried red residue where the leak is. I had a constant drop of coolant under my car, and when I finally crawled under to look, I could see a red stalactite developing where it was dripping off the bottom of the motor. Turned out to be the coolant flange leaking. $15 part - dealer wanted $170 to install(these are Canadian dollars). Did it myself in oh..a couple of hours. Hardest part was removing all the hoses off the old flange.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
rcy said:
Yeah, you have to figure out where it is coming from. Usually the G12 leaves a dried red residue where the leak is. I had a constant drop of coolant under my car, and when I finally crawled under to look, I could see a red stalactite developing where it was dripping off the bottom of the motor. Turned out to be the coolant flange leaking. $15 part - dealer wanted $170(these are Canadian dollars). Did it myself in oh..a couple of hours. Hardest part was removing all the hoses off the old flange.
Its on the driver's side end of the engine.. where the upper radiator hose (and lots more besides) all come together. It's crappy and plastic. It is such a common place for it to leak, I would check there first. I bought a spare for $9 online last time I ordered some parts - fortunately its still on the shelf. But its there when (not if) it starts leaking.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Porkchop said:
Its on the driver's side end of the engine.. where the upper radiator hose (and lots more besides) all come together. It's crappy and plastic. It is such a common place for it to leak, I would check there first. I bought a spare for $9 online last time I ordered some parts - fortunately its still on the shelf. But its there when (not if) it starts leaking.

My car is beginning to leak on the driver's side as well, but only when I don't drive for a couple of days. My driveway is also slightly inclined. I just hope it doesn't cost serious $$$ to fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts