NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a true Jersey Girl, I've loved the Boss since as long as I can remember. He was my first celebrity crush, somewhere around 1st grade.

Anyway, I saw him in a solo acoustic concert last night, and he was awesome. It was really a great show. And he hardly spoke on politics at all, which I was very happy about!

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I like some of Bruce's Stuff. Wether you love or hate him, I appreciate that there are singer/songwriters that are still in existance in todays music arena. Moreover, it's good to hear music thats not always synthesized and candy-coated to fit the 'flash in a pan' pop music culture. Not knocking it totally; I guess it has it's place. But sad to say it seems that refined pop seems to be the mold. I think thats one reason why country is becoming as popular as it is today. No, I'm not a big country fan, but I have noticed the trend. And even in that, todays country, performance wise, has lost it's luster. I do dig the song "i'm a man of constant sorrows"

As long as The Boss has been around, in todays music, He's refreshing. Cadillac Ranch is a cool song.

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amen, scarab. It's very true. It was awe-inspiring to see this guy get up on a stage by himself, with only a guitar, a harmonica, a piano, and a few other instruments and entertain an entire arena full of people for over 2 hours.

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
I too am a fan of Mr. Spingsteen. Seen him at the Oakland Coliseum during the Born in the U.S.A. tour. Best concert I've been to bar none. Didn't think the show was gonna end (and hoped it wouldn't). The Boss give you more than you moneys worth. I can't say that about anybody else I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Ya know I was thinking (imagine that :p). Some might dare say (and this might be a stretch) that folks like Bruce, Neal Young, would be almost folk singers just because their not synthesized or processed. I'd strongly say NO. I mean even R&B by todays standards is pretty lame and most of the CD's aren't fit to be made as coasters. Most live performances are so dance laden and pyrotechnical enhanced, that the art of the music, if any, is lost. Sure they did some dancing back in the day (Chi-Lites, 4-tops, Commodores, EW&F) But, there was artistry in the musical performances as well as the singing.

Again, i'm sure that, dare I say, that today's music has it's place. I dig a good house beat and the like. But when theirs no flashin lights, no posse of dancers, can a song be enjoyed just for the lyrics an earthy voice and a piano or gituar?

I know i've just turned on the 'way back machine' but Carol King has been ringing through me ol noggin as of late. How bout James Taylor?

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
scarabY2k said:
Ya know I was thinking (imagine that :p). Some might dare say (and this might be a stretch) that folks like Bruce, Neal Young, would be almost folk singers just because their not synthesized or processed. I'd strongly say NO. I mean even R&B by todays standards is pretty lame and most of the CD's aren't fit to be made as coasters. Most live performances are so dance laden and pyrotechnical enhanced, that the art of the music, if any, is lost. Sure they did some dancing back in the day (Chi-Lites, 4-tops, Commodores, EW&F) But, there was artistry in the musical performances as well as the singing.

Again, i'm sure that, dare I say, that today's music has it's place. I dig a good house beat and the like. But when theirs no flashin lights, no posse of dancers, can a song be enjoyed just for the lyrics an earthy voice and a piano or gituar?

I know i've just turned on the 'way back machine' but Carol King has been ringing through me ol noggin as of late. How bout James Taylor?
Wow, where did I hear that before? Oh, in my own head! (Gail shivers with goose bumps!)

I SOOO agree with everything you said, and I care nada for Bruce or Neil. But I love real music.

This is getting strange. You said Chi Lites and I was taken back to Skatehaven, early 70's, Couples Skate rollin along backwards to "Have You Seen Her?"

I have sang all my life and never have I wanted to even try to think of dancing while doing it. THATS SO NOT DO-ABLE, trust me, try it sometime. I left the band I was in (circa 80ish mind you) because I refused to roll around on the stage like Madonna.

To me there is nothing better then live acoustic music. Accapella is now my favorite way to sing these days.

The line between musician and celebrity is growing more and more faint. Where are the bards and troubadours??

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Right on mang. You know what it's like....

It's kinda like A woman with makeup. STAY WITH ME ON THIS ONE.

Don't misunderstand me. Make up is a wonderful thing. No I don't wear it:D. Makeup on a woman applied properly excentuates her beauty all the more.....Pure music

On the other hand; some cake it on and over do it, thinking there looking hawt but really their not. Over accessorized and gawdy. Some look like they have on a mask right about to the bottom of their necks and then you see this awful makeup cutoff line.....Just a little would do the trick. Am I making any kind of sense????

Again, don't misunderstand me. I enjoy a good groove, slow or fast. It's just some of the music today lacks any kind of talent. I guess in some sort of bizzaro world kind of way, it has it's place.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Shutterbug said:
All I can say to that is...
Leela James...... you have GOT to know the song.

Sorry JrsyGrl, didn't mean to highjack.
Sorry, the name escapes me. Maybe one of the tracks might sound familar. Hey shutterbug, start a music past and present thread, before JrsyGrl falls out of love with us. I'll meet cha there.

Yeah, JrsyGrl, sorry for the highjack. BUT.....
You have to admit that It's talents like the Springsteen that makes music what it should be. Not just his music but the concert experience. I've never seen him in concert but it sounds like a dead head concert. Never seen them either. I've been told that their concerts would go on for literaly hours and the fans would just hang out and soak it all in. They do it for the fans and the sheer enjoyment of the music. The closest experience i've had to that was a Phil Keaggy concert several years back. Just him, an electric and acoustic gituar. It went on for about 3 1/2 hrs. Awesome.

So thank you JrsyGrl for Brnging the Boss thread to us. By the way, what's your fav Burce tune?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts