VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the amount of posts in this section of the forum, I am guessing there are not too many new current line of 1.8 Turbo Beetle owners active here, let alone new Dune owners. If there are any, I am curious of your experiences with it.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
1.8 Turbo

Wifey has a 2015 1.8 turbo in her convertible. It works well and seems to be a reliable engine. She is at about 20K miles now without any problems. It's pretty quick and responsive. It won't do 200 mph, bit most cars won't. We love it and plan to keep it for a long time.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wifey has a 2015 1.8 turbo in her convertible. It works well and seems to be a reliable engine. She is at about 20K miles now without any problems. It's pretty quick and responsive. It won't do 200 mph, bit most cars won't. We love it and plan to keep it for a long time.
Thanks. Haha! Yeah, no plans on driving at 200 mph. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

My 2002 1.8 Turbo has been fairly good with its pick up. It's a manual transmission and now that is no longer an option for any Beetle in 2017. So I hope an automatic drive is not going to hinder that aspect.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the amount of posts in this section of the forum, I am guessing there are not too many new current line of 1.8 Turbo Beetle owners active here, let alone new Dune owners. If there are any, I am curious of your experiences with it.
I can now answer my own questioning post... Yes, there is at least one Dune owner here. Me!

I took delivery of it today!

So far, loving it.

(I still have my New Beetle GLX as well)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Beautiful! That's the best color for the Dune! :party:

Thank your Astro for your love of our round cars. Have fun with this Dune!!! :clap:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I saw a Dune in a parking lot a couple weeks ago -- same color. Gorgeous! I drove circles around it a few times and almost forgot to buy dog food. :p

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first Beetle Dune experience happened before I even got to drive the car off the lot. I was in my new car waiting for another VW owner to clear the way so I could pull out when someone came up to my car to express to me how much he loved it. I explained that I had just got it. He was really impressed and in awe of it. So far everyone that I have shown it to said similar things, but this guy was a complete stranger.

I'm still getting used to it myself. I feel like I'm driving someone else's car, it's hard to believe it's mine.

This morning I was going through my (old) New Beetle to see what items in my glove box and armrest compartment I need to bring to my (new) Beetle and wouldn't you know the latch for my armrest compartment broke. Even though I had a new car, it was still a bit stressful and painful to have something else break (albeit minor) on my 2002 New Beetle.

Speaking of storage compartments, my new 2017 Beetle has more of them. In addition to the glove box (which it has two now) and armrest compartment, and door-side areas, there is a driver's side storage compartment in the dashboard to the lower left of the steering wheel.

Loving the "new car feeling" — It's been a long time for me. I hope this feeling lasts a long time.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
My 2013 felt like a rental for a long time. I had been driving New Beetles for 13 years!

Try to not ignore Astro. He can be your fun, retro car. It was fun driving Blanca a few times after getting the 2013. But, I did not want her as my daily. Sad, really.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try to not ignore Astro. He can be your fun, retro car. It was fun driving Blanca a few times after getting the 2013. But, I did not want her as my daily. Sad, really.
Since I had literally just renewed the registration for Astro for two years, I had it transferred to Arrakis (my Dune). I did the same with the insurance. So now Astro has no plates or insurance. So it is pretty much bound to my driveway for the time being.

That said, yes, I plan on trying to keep it up even if I am not using it. Yesterday morning I started it up because it had been sitting for a couple of days and I don't want the battery to die. Once the weather allows it, I will wash it as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Don't forget to start a photo thread! There is a 2012+ forum now!

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was at a red light today when in the corner of my eye I noticed someone checking out my car. I glance over to see another driver giving a nod of approval and then I realize he is a Beetle himself. He moved up ahead of before I could return the favor of approval of his car. It was a sweet R-Line.

It had the 3-pod dash-mounted gauge cluster that the early photos of the Dune included (I assume it was the earlier concept car prior to production). It is one of the minor things I regret that VW omitted from the final Dune production model.

Comparing the R-Line SEL to the Dune, the differences that I can spot offhand is that it has 20" wheels compared to 18", leather seating as opposed to leatherette, navigation system, and the aforementioned 3-pod dash-mounted gauge cluster. It's also a $5k price difference too.

My 2002 GLX had the all black leather seating interior similar to the R-line. I do like the the two tone with color accents that my Dune interior has, but I do worry about the leatherette will hold up over time compared to leather. I don't miss the navigation system because I do have Apple Car-Play so I have it already using it with my iPhone (which I did for the first time yesterday driving to a new location). I do like the dash-mounted gauges, but probably not enough for price difference between the two trims.

As for the red light meeting, it was a nice moment, but I wish I was able to give the other driver some acknowledgement on his car. When the light changed, we went separate ways. I was in the turning lane and made my turn and he went forward.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
I was asked if my 2013 was a taxi. I was confused?

He pointed to my gauges....... :lol:

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First Refueling and Another Encounter

It was eventually going to have to happen... After all, it has been two weeks now. I was down to a ¼ tank of gasoline in the new car, so I decided to go fill it up. So today was the first time I bought gasoline for my new Dune. VW recommends Top Tier gasoline brands for this car, so I did some research and identified some brands that meet the criteria of Top Tier gasoline. It meant going to a new station than my usual. I was pleased that I could use Apple Pay there, so it was a double win.

One again I had an encounter with a complete stranger. After I finished adding gas, another person there refueling came up to me to say how much he likes the car. He wasn't even a VW owner. He asked if it was new. I explained that indeed it was and in fact this was the first time I am purchasing gas for it.

I figured my Dune would be a head-turner for other VW and/or Beetle fans... but I had assumed everyone else would see it just as another car. That was proven not so much the case today.

It was also nice not having to use the button to unlock the fueling cap/lid as was the case with my New Beetle. It automatically unlocks for certain time after turning off the car

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Another Difference

Another big difference between the R-line and the Dune besides, the engine, is the R-line has the DSG transmission with the paddle shifters. Once you figure out how to get the most from the paddle shifters they are an absolute blast to play with.

I'm not sure as to the longevity of the DSG as I have never had one for more than 4 years, but for now, they are awfully fun to play with. I like it better than the 5 speed manual I have.

I like the white and black Dunes, The gold...not so much. Just personal color preference I guess. I do love the new Bottle Green color but superstition prevents me from owning a green car!

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another big difference between the R-line and the Dune besides, the engine, is the R-line has the DSG transmission with the paddle shifters. Once you figure out how to get the most from the paddle shifters they are an absolute blast to play with.

I'm not sure as to the longevity of the DSG as I have never had one for more than 4 years, but for now, they are awfully fun to play with. I like it better than the 5 speed manual I have.

I like the white and black Dunes, The gold...not so much. Just personal color preference I guess. I do love the new Bottle Green color but superstition prevents me from owning a green car!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That is good to know. I have the tiptronic shifting, but not the paddle shifters. It would be interesting to try out the paddle shifters. Every car I've owned except this one has had a manual transmission.

The black and white choices didn't call to me. Nothing wrong with them, but I find those colors to be very common today on the roads. With the Dune trim, your choices are only Black, White, or Sandstorm Yellow Metallic. It looks more like a mustard gold to me. Having had a silver New Beetle for 15 years, it was time for me to move up to the gold.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts