VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
They are the Monster Mats, they were in the trunk, it had the carpet mats installed, so I have both. The roadside assistance kit was in the trunk also. I wish my dealer had left the window sticker with the car, I have the one off of my 2010 Nissan Titan.
I received the window sticker... I believe the dealership left it in my glovebox. But I didn't get any Monster Mats. I was pleasantly surprised to get the roadside assistance kit though.

Don't be upset. I think I rather had gotten the Monster Mats over the window sticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mats probably depend on whether your dealer ordered them as part of the configuration. For mine, they are definitely included (price listed on the sticker is $130.) The roadside assistance kit is also on there for $85.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The mats probably depend on whether your dealer ordered them as part of the configuration. For mine, they are definitely included (price listed on the sticker is $130.) The roadside assistance kit is also on there for $85.
Wow! You're right! I just checked the sticker and indeed the Roadside Assistance Kit is on it for $85. Here I thought it was a "gift" from my dealership. Oh well. Mind you, VW is selling the kit separately for only $78. There are no Monster Mats on my sticker though. Hence, they were not included with my Dune (they are sold separately by VW for $99).

The towing eye hooks were loose in my trunk, so I placed them in the Roadside Assistance Kit. So far that is the only use I had for the kit, but it's only been a couple of months now since getting the car and the roadside assistance kit is something that is nice to have, but hope you never have to use it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the Dune! I have a 2016 myself without the special packages. I've only seen one other so far since I got mine in September in North NJ.

I noticed I also received the monster mats and the roadside assistance package but both for no charge. The dealership I got my Dune from also threw in a detail package (striping and door molding) which actually looks good on it (although its the kind you expect to see on a 1980's Lincoln Town Car).

I saw above your mentioning of the center dials - there are a few threads around here about installing them yourself, although I don't know exactly where to get the Dune-styled ones..

Good luck! Sounds like you are enjoying it so far!

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Congrats on the Dune! I have a 2016 myself without the special packages.
Cool! Do you have any photos already posted here of it? I would love to see it.

I've only seen one other so far since I got mine in September in North NJ.
I have yet to see another Dune on the road since getting mine... I have yet to see another Dune on the road at all really. The only other Dune I saw was one at the dealership last July which was the first time I saw one and the only one I have seen other than my own.

I noticed I also received the monster mats and the roadside assistance package but both for no charge.
If you the window sticker of your car from the dealership, you may want to check it. I thought mine was thrown in for free until I realized it was an itemized addition that was part of the full price of the car. If you get it for free, that's great!

The dealership I got my Dune from also threw in a detail package (striping and door molding) which actually looks good on it (although its the kind you expect to see on a 1980's Lincoln Town Car).
The car I had before my 2002 New Beetle, which was a 1988 Mitsubishi had stripping on it from the dealership. Though I'm pretty sure I had to pay extra for it.

I saw above your mentioning of the center dials - there are a few threads around here about installing them yourself, although I don't know exactly where to get the Dune-styled ones..
Oh? Hmmm... Yeah, it would had been nice if it was included as it is with Dune models sold outside of the U.S. Though I'm not sure I miss them that much that I would go through the bother of installing them myself. Interesting to know it can be done though. Thanks.

Good luck! Sounds like you are enjoying it so far!
Yes, I am indeed. Thanks. I hope you are too (still).

My latest addition to it are exhaust finishers. I believe they complete the fit & finish of the Dune styling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those finishers actually look really good! Makes me want to steal your idea. :D

I don't have any photos of my Dune as of yet on here (honestly it's rare for me to post). But here is a shot of Lewis; the bare-bone entry-level Dune.

As for the show it's a bit of a drive for me - almost 10 hours or so. But if there are any other shows in the PA/NY/NJ area I think it'd be fun to join a small army of Dunes to drive around with.

Attachments

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Those finishers actually look really good! Makes me want to steal your idea. :D

I don't have any photos of my Dune as of yet on here (honestly it's rare for me to post). But here is a shot of Lewis; the bare-bone entry-level Dune.

As for the show it's a bit of a drive for me - almost 10 hours or so. But if there are any other shows in the PA/NY/NJ area I think it'd be fun to join a small army of Dunes to drive around with.
Sweet! Looking good. Nice name.

Yeah, I had debated to myself if I needed the Dune with the two packages. My 2002 GLX had a sunroof and I felt I would miss it, but perhaps I could get by without it. In the end, the decision was made for me as the only Dune at any dealership in my area was the one I got with the two packages (lighting package and technology package).

I'm really happy with the exhaust finishers. VW did a good job with them. Once installed, they look like they are part of the car. Unlike some of the other ones I see on the road on other vehicles that look like tacked on tips.

I also echo your thoughts on the T.O.D. gathering. NC is a bit far for me to get to from here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, yeah, Lewis seemed logical. I mean, they both look equally angry. Lewis Black hates everyone and the Beetle looks like it hates other cars. :devil:

That was my situation with the Dune - my old Bug was telling me it wanted to 'rest' and I didn't have the money to fix it. I knew there was a Dune sitting in South Jersey near family for months on the lot so.. yeah. I think sitting outside uncared for kissed the paint finish a little though.

If you know of any meets that some Dunes should crash though, let me know. Don't mind a drive. :D

Attachments

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
It's like driving the Batmobile

I've come to realize that driving a Dune is a little like driving the Batmobile. By that I mean there are not many out there on the roads and it is easily identified as it has a unique look to it. So now I get comments from friends and colleagues that they saw me on this road or they were driving behind me or they spotted my car somewhere, etc. My driving habits are the same as they were when I was driving my silver New Beetle GLX, but I didn't get as many of those comments as I get now with the Dune. I also get more head-turns and acknowledgements from complete strangers out on the road.

It's pretty cool as long as you don't mind not blending in.

I have yet to spot another Dune on the road (I know you're out there though).

I always enjoyed unique cars. It was what attracted me to the New Beetle in the first place.

Now I just need a cape and a utility belt to go with my Batmobile car. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
howdy from Northwest Houston. I just picked up my DUNE Friday night. it came with (for an additional fee) Technology pkg, Lighting pkg, Monster Mats, Roadside Kit & First Aid kit - BUT no NAV. kinda disappointed about that. oh, I've not seen any other Dunes around here, and very few Beetles.

I've been researching tuners, be nice to get another 25-30 hp & tq. any suggestions?

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
... BUT no NAV. kinda disappointed about that. oh, I've not seen any other Dunes around here, and very few Beetles.

I've been researching tuners, be nice to get another 25-30 hp & tq. any suggestions?
Welcome to the Dune Club! Yeah, no NAV, but it's not that much of a biggie, as you can use Apple Car Play with an iPhone to get similar functionality with Maps or I assume you can do the same with an Android phone using the Android Auto.

I haven't seen any other Dunes yet here either.

Sorry, I can't help in regards to tuners. Someone else please jump in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the Dune Club! Yeah, no NAV, but it's not that much of a biggie, as you can use Apple Car Play with an iPhone to get similar functionality with Maps or I assume you can do the same with an Android phone using the Android Auto.

I haven't seen any other Dunes yet here either.

Sorry, I can't help in regards to tuners. Someone else please jump in.
thanks for the welcome, I'm guessing this will be a small select group. yeah, I had the salesman do his magic with my iPhone and car-play. I'm an old fart and techno-challenged. I've had my share of Bugs back in the 60s and 70s, back with they were a couple hundred dollars a piece. even restored a 1958 with the original 36hp engine.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
thanks for the welcome, I'm guessing this will be a small select group. yeah, I had the salesman do his magic with my iPhone and car-play. I'm an old fart and techno-challenged. I've had my share of Bugs back in the 60s and 70s, back with they were a couple hundred dollars a piece. even restored a 1958 with the original 36hp engine.
I was too young to drive in the 60s and 70s, but that didn't stop me from working on my first car in that period. It was a bug. Unbeknownst to the owner I might add. Yeah, I guess my father learned a lesson not to give a very young son his first screwdriver set who is curious how the world works without explicit instructions. Long story.

As for as Car Play goes, it's as easy as plugging your iPhone into the USB port and turning on the infotainment system. Tap on the Maps icon and essentially have your NAV system now. It came in real handy for me earlier this week when my dentist referred me to a oral surgeon I've never been to before to have a wisdom tooth removed that I should had done when was 20. Anyway, all is good now and yes, I am feeling better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was too young to drive in the 60s and 70s, but that didn't stop me from working on my first car in that period. It was a bug. Unbeknownst to the owner I might add. Yeah, I guess my father learned a lesson not to give a very young son his first screwdriver set who is curious how the world works without explicit instructions. Long story.

As for as Car Play goes, it's as easy as plugging your iPhone into the USB port and turning on the infotainment system. Tap on the Maps icon and essentially have your NAV system now. It came in real handy for me earlier this week when my dentist referred me to a oral surgeon I've never been to before to have a wisdom tooth removed that I should had done when was 20. Anyway, all is good now and yes, I am feeling better.
aw man! I feel your pain, in the last 2 months I've had a crown and 2 bridges.

he he he... the salesman went nuts until he figured out I didn't have Apple Maps on my iPhone (go figure, right?) loaded the app, things work just fine now.

I started helping my father and uncle repair old junkers back in the late 50s. overhauled my first engine (1953 Cadillac V8) when I was 10, under the proverbial shade tree. even though I was too little to remove the heads, I had to get them ready for removal. and I didn't have the strength to torque anything back down, but I did have to get things ready for the final torqueing. and now I look to contract all that labor out, I've done my share. also, the same uncle taught me to drive that summer in a 1953 Dodge truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the Dune Club! Now if only we can also get you off of that iPhone and get some real technology in your hands running android. :D

I also do not know much about tuning.. I'm happy just the way he is in that aspect. Mind you, I'm coming from the 2.5 150hp 2007 Beetle so.. the turbo is enough to make me happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the Dune Club! Now if only we can also get you off of that iPhone and get some real technology in your hands running android. :D

I also do not know much about tuning.. I'm happy just the way he is in that aspect. Mind you, I'm coming from the 2.5 150hp 2007 Beetle so.. the turbo is enough to make me happy.
thanks for the "welcome"

I better stay with the iPhone, I don't know if I can handle any more technology... I'm about maxed out. I've decided to wait for the tuning till I get more miles on her. next thing is the chrome exhaust tips.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
today, I added the BUG nameplate and the chrome exhaust tips.

and still don't know how to post a pic.....
Congratulations. Yeah, I had to get the exhaust finishers myself. It felt like it was missing from the fit and finish of the Dune trim without it.

To add a photo, you can click on the paperclip icon above when typing your message and you will get a pop-up dialog box in which you can add a photo or photos. Select your photo or photos and then click on the upload button.

Cheers!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 83 Posts