VW Beetle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sweet! You did it. Looking good. I have the exhaust finishers myself. So I know the ease of installation it has for it, but what about the name/badge. Is that a difficult installation?
I kinda cheated, a paint & body shop owner friend of mine did it for me in his parking lot... under 10 minutes. it almost took longer for him to walk back in the shop to get the cleaner and a rag than the removal and installation of the letters.

1. peel the old letters off, (Keith used his thumbnail, dental floss works well too)
2. remove the double stick tape residue, (again Keith just used his thumb, rubbing and rolling the tape off)
3. clean the body of all traces of tape

(the "new" name badge is mounted on sticky tape, all letters are in the correct placement and spacing)

4. simply line up the "new" name, making sure it's centered (we used the trunk release VW emblem.
5. press the letters unto body.
6. peel the tape off leaving the letters.
7. press each letter firmly to insure maximum tape contact.

VW says to wait 48 hours before washing or polishing the letters.

to me, it was worth the $65 for the BUG name badge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
has any Dune owner changed the anemic horn yet? I'm contemplating swapping it out for a Stebel Nautilus air horn. BUT can't find the right info - where is the OEM located and how to get at it.

anyone??

·
Registered
28 Posts
The funny fact is that I am from NJ and this bug had NJ plates as well, but for this day I was down in Wilmington DE for work. A co-worker was looking out the window ans said "Hey, when did you move your car?" So as I was leaving... stopped for a shot.

I've seen other dunes on opposite sides of the road and once tailing me for 20 seconds.. but besides this.. very rare.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I love my 2015 1.8t. it's a blast to drive. My brother was joking around saying that I don't let people drive it because of how I am. So I gave him the keys and we went for a drive and got up on the freeway. Even before we got there he was impressed with it. He was scared to drive it hard because it wasn't his. I said jokingly..drive it how ever thick your wallet is. I don't care. Lol. Mines an automatic and it goes just fine. I love manuals, but I have a bad hip on that side and neither of my calf's work very well. Car wreak a long time ago. So in traffic I start to hurt pretty bad so I have to have an automatic now. I'm enjoying my little 1.8t Bug. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All!

I am new to the forum. I had a beautiful 2001 lime green Beetle in high school and college. After the transmission blew out in that little guy I had a brief interlude with BMW. But I recently bought a Dune in July! It is my pride and joy.

I bought it certified used. Everything is running great and I am really enjoying it. There do seem to be one or two small stains on the cloth area of the seats from the previous owner. Any Dune owners have success in cleaning the Dune seats?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, new member at the forum. I bought my 2017 Dune convertible new in 2018. I traded in my 2001 Porsche Boxster (which you can see in my profile photo) for it. I was actually looking at a sky blue 2015 Beetle convertible. My wife said that wouldn’t be suitable for a guy, as the design is already on the cute side and sky blue would just be too girly. She convinced me to go for the yellow Dune. No regrets. I’ve received compliments quite a few times.

Two questions here. Has anyone tried the APR Stage 1 ECU tune on their Dune? It’d be much nicer if VW had given it the GTI level engine like in Europe but they didn’t. The 1.8t isn’t bad at all but a little more would be even better.

Also, when I was asking a local shop authorized to install the APR tune the guy told me about the inevitable problem of carbon buildup on this engine. That was news to me. Anyone had any issues so far? I’m not new to VW. I briefly had a 2008 Rabbit (Golf) and a 2008 Jetta, both of which had the old school 5 cyl 2.5L. I do currently have a 2014 VW CC with the VR6 which is also old school with no direct injection. So no problems there. I’m slightly concerned about the 1.8t. However, the Dune is our 3rd car so I’ve been putting less than 3k miles on it a year so it shouldn’t be a problem for me for a long time. Just wondering though.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Rim

61 - 80 of 83 Posts