VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P0740 code just came up / torque converter clutch circuit malfunction. Anybody know what this means in terms of a repair. Symptoms sometimes appear while driving on highway and accelerating engine rpms go up with no increase in vehicle speed. Let up on accelerator for a bit and its back to normal and accelerates properly. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
4 or 6 speed?

Might/hopefully just a bad solenoid, but it could also be due to low fluid.

First thing I would do is check the fluid and top it off, not as hard as you might think.

Once the fluid is known to be at the proper level, then the next thing is how many miles on the trans and does it shift correctly?

Might be a solenoid that is worn/needs replacement?

Valve bodies in these transmissions are all crap after 70-90k miles anyway.

Fluid check - http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/60709-auto-trans-level-check-fill-info.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the 4 speed automatic overdrive / how hard is it to replace any of the solenoids that may need to be replaced ? are they accessible from the bottom or the side ? Mileage is at 135,000 / no leaks and it was running fine previously so Im thinking the fluid level may not be the problem. It was supposedly changed and filled 3 years ago when we got the car... and if its the valve body ... how do I know and how bad is that - financially and laborwise ?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think and hope all of the solenoids are in the valve body. I would say the valve body is bad, almost all of these VW valve bodies wear out. Also most replace the internal transmission wiring harness due to issues with the connectors.

Valve body overhaul and reworking costs about $500-550 give or take, plus about $65 for the wiring harness plus fluid.

It is not a hard job, but a necessary job for most of these car.

There is as small likelyhood that the actual torque converter may be an issue, but you might want to search the code and see what many have had to do to correct the P0740 code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts