NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys;

I'm thinking of attempting an aquarium setup, and was just curious if we had any enthusiasts amongst the NB nuts...

Anyone got any helpful hints? suggestions? forums? online advice?

Its been a long time since I was 5 and had a goldfish which passed away (All drains lead to the ocean..) and was hoping to get some solid advice..

Cheers!
James

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I've not had the best of luck with aquariums.

One thing to note. The little "novelty" type aquariums aren't the best. They offer no real filtration systems. As a result, you really need to clean the water often. Problem is, the fish really need the bacteria that grows in the water to live. So everytime you change the water, it's a shock to their system. I've heard that you should just change maybe 1/4 of the water at a time. But that doesn't seem to work well for me either.

If you can get a bigger aquarium with a decent filter, that should definitely help.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am more interested in setting up a larger tank (the biggest that I can afford) as something to "liven up" the front room at home.

Possibly looking at a 10 or 20gallon tank...

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
my wife has a coupla tanks, 1 at her school and 1 at home. She goes with old fill in the larger the better. get the biggest and the best filtration system you can. The more water you filter the easier it is to control the chemistry. She says it is a must to have a Plecostomus (fish) for eating algae.
good luck

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love love love aquariums! I am pretty experienced with both fresh and marine aquariums. I guess it would be better if you could give me some questions and let me answer them.. I really don't know any forums for fresh water fish, but I'm sure there are plenty out there. As far as beauty goes, I would suggest getting some african chichlids. They are IMHO the most attractive fresh water fish. They do require a higher PH than normal (about 7.8 to 8.5), but other than that, they aren't any different than normal FW fish. For a 20g, you could do around 8 fish.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I am almost as obsessed with fishies as I am my car! :D Oh, and if you need supplies.... http://www.drsfosterandsmith.com has supplies cheaper than PetSmart.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear that there is someone out here that loves aquariums..

I'd love to setup a SW nano-reef but I think I'll wait till I have a few years experience under my belt. I'd love to have a 30+ gallon setup, FW, with an Black Angel or two, a school of cory cats, and a school of tetras. (Which is what I think I will aspire to depending on the costs of the tank, filtration equipment..)

As for the chichlids I've read that they need a larger tank, and if I can only afford a 20gallon tank, then i wouldnt want to stress the fish.

I've been poking around at http://www.liveaquaria.com/ looking at different breeds, and the compatability chart.

·
Registered
412 Posts
While 30g for the ACs are ideal, I have a 20g chichlid tank that has been running for a good long while without any problems; however, I only have 5 fish in there. You can get about 12 in a 30g.

You should also check out http://www.aquariacentral.com/
There are a lot of helpful people that hang out there and some good articles as well. I would love to have a nano reef as well, but I don't have the money. :( I do have a 6g dwarf seahorse tank, which is my pride and joy. You should definately post some pics once you get everything up and running!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm big time into fresh water stuff, and if I had the space, I'd have at least 3, 75 gallon tanks. Fish are like crack, they're very addictive! I'm echoing the "Don't buy anything small" sentiment. It's a lot harder to keep a small tank going well, and the tiniest change can wreck the entire tank. The more water you have, the harder it is to mess up and kill everything.

I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 20g tank, a 29g would be ideal. 29g gives you a whole heck of a lot of options, from almost any small to medium sized community and semi-aggressive fish, to dwarf cichlids. If you're considering them, Angelfish should be in nothing smaller than a 29g, unless it's a tank containing only a pair for breeding. Also, Angles are a species of cichlid, and are in no way angelic in behavior.

As for filtration, always over filter you tank! Spend the extra 20 bucks on a filter for a 50g tank if you have a 29g, your fish will thank you. One important thing to remember is DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON EQUIPMENT! Saving money by buying a cheapo filter will cost you more in the long run. Buy a quality filter and heater, try to stay away from Top Fin/Whisper and get either an Aquaclear or Penguin. A heater is required for anything other than goldfish, and is possibly the single most important piece of equipment you can buy. Heaters can wreck the entire tank in a few hours if they get stuck in the "on" position, don't cheap out on them! Also invest in a digital thermometer, so you can tell instantly if the heat is too high. Submersible heaters are very nifty, as you can set them to a temperature and then hide them behind a rock or something. A good tank stand is a must, as water is pretty heavy, and so are decorations. My 29g tank weighs between 350 and 450 lbs!

As for the fish you want to get, it depends. If you want plain old community fish, a 20g will be okay, but a 29g will give you a lot more fish to work with. Consider having a large school (5-10) of Cardinal Tetras, they lake awesome in a big cloud. Some Coryadas catfish will help clean up uneaten food, and a Plecostomus to eat algae is a good idea. A warning on Plecos, they are just poop machines, try to get a Bristlenose Pleco, they’re much more efficient. WARNING! The common pleco can reach 24” in a few years! The general rule of thumb for fish is 1inch of adult fish per gallon of water, but you can stretch that if you have enough filtration. Other good fish to look at are Mollies, Platys, Swordtails, Danios, small Barbs, small Loaches and Botias, small catfish, and the absolutely massive number of fancy guppies. Be careful about angles, a single angel is enough!
Be VERY careful with cichlids, I would not recommend them for a fish newbie. They’re the most attractive freshwater fish you can buy, but they are the most aggressive. All cichlids will kill and eat their tank mates if housed with anything that’s not a cichlid! Some catfish and plecos are usually okay, but you never know. Cichlids also tend to get VERY large, (8-16” for some species, but there are a number of small fish in the 4-6” range). Many popular cichlids are also carnivorous, while others just enjoy eating other fish now and then. Cichlid tanks must be decorated very carefully based on species, and they need very specialized water qualities. A 29g tank would house 4 cichlids of the Labidochromis caerleus species, which are fairly peaceful for a cichlid, and are very attractive, but that’s it! Almost all other species require nothing smaller than a 55g tank.

Most of this comes from experience, and a lot of research I did before setting up my cichlid tank. I think I covered pretty much everything, feel free to ask me any questions; I did a massive amount of research on fish after I got my job, and a just finished a paper on Cichlids. I’m also an assistant manager at Petsmart in the Pet Care department, so I work with these fish all day. It’s a fun but expensive hobby, and if you do the right research, you’ll do just fine!

Here are a few shots of my fish, the tank as been doing very well so far, so well that my Labidochromis caerleus are breeding! I’ll try to post a recent tank shot later tonight.
Mom and Dad, the female has the buldge under her mouth. These are L. caerleus, the females incubates the eggs in her mouth and spits out babies when they hatch.

Closeup of dad, he's an almost perfect specimen:

Fish List:
3x L. caerleus
1x Idotropheus Sparangae (Rusty Cichlid)
1x Socolofi Hybrid(hybrids are bad with cichlids, and he's going to a frined soon)
1x Striped Loach(cleans up the scraps)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the informative posts, I'm glad that there are a few people out here that I can draw on for information...

I think in about 10 minutes I will have to leave early for a *doctors appointment for my son* and run to petsmart to check out pricing on tanks ;)

Now to convince the wife ;) <-- this might be the hardest part I think ;)

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I used to have 4 tanks. Largest was a 20 gallon, all the others 10's. I did goldfish in one of the 10's and community tanks in the others. I really like to have live plants. If you really want to do them justice you need to have a co2 system which is spendy. I got rid of all my tanks when we also had 2 dogs and 10 cats. Too much work. The thing I think mostly about aquariums is that they are great and relaxing and beautiful when they are clean and the fish are happy. They are just horrible when they get algae in them and the fish get stressed. We couldn't keep up with them. (Not that it is all that much work but they do require some upkeep.)

I miss them. I wish I had a nice long 50 - 70 gallon tank beside my bed. Nice to fall asleep to.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Check out fishgeeks.com it's a great resource that should be a ton of help for you. My advice is to get on there and read, read, read BEFORE you buy any tank or fish. I was shocked at how much there was to know about having a fish tank.

I have a 12-gal Eclipse system that is very attractive and a nice size. Getting it 'cycled' in the beginning was a lot harder than I thought. Research "BioSpira", which is a live liquid bacteria that you can add to your tank to help it happen sooner; not cheap but cheaper than killing a tankful of fish, lol.

Good luck. There's tons of help and advice out there, if you do your homework. :)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice deeceedub,

I stopped by a local pet store on the way home to check out prices on tanks and whatnot, found out that for now all I can really afford is something in the 10-15gallon range.

So hopefully in the next while I will pick up something like that and maybe get a school of tetra's or something easy to start with.

Turns out the wife loved the idea, and is a great resource to draw on as she used to work in a pet store and claims to know everything I could ever want to know... but she gave me the *LOOK* and said Christmas is coming don't you dare buy anything..

I think I'll still do the research though

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Oh, and my .02 on the cory cats... great, small, playful fish for a modest-sized tank. I love my cories... I have 2 panda cories in a community tank with harlequins and glow-light tetras. If you want algae-eaters, a pleco will be too large for your size tank. My suggestion would be ottos (otocinclus, I think, is the 'real' name)-- they are only about 1.5 to 2 inches and do a wonderful job of eating algae. Cory cats and ottos will both need a cycled tank, though, so I'd wait a couple of months before adding either.

Another thing, be very conservative about the size and number of fish that you put in a small tank...overstocking is a common (and often fatal) mistake of the fish newbie. Glad your wife has some knowledge, that'll really help! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Here's another thought, check the classifieds in your local paper. I've seen some good deals on large tanks in the local paper here a few times. That is, if you don't mind used.

·
258 Posts
I Love fresh water I have a 125gal wich is my large Central american cichlid tank. I have a 44 gal which is my african cichlid tank which house's my Paratilapia Bleekeri from Madagascar I also have a 55 gal with my oscars and then I have a 29 gal which I am in the process of converting it to a salt water and I have a 10 gal with my tetras. For all my Cichlid questions your best choice is Cichlid-Forum http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php

I mostly deal with the larger cichlids but I love all fresh water and have owned alot of diferent species.

My 125

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, those are quite the setups, I would love to have a nice 55gallon myself.

But need to be able to afford and maintain it first. As for my first setup I am thinking of the following:
a 15 or 20 gallon tank stocked with
- 2 Blue Rams
- School of neon or glowlight tetra's
- Pair of otto's (otocinclus catfish) to clean up..

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Wauw, I have to say, that looks awesome !

I really like to have a nice aquarium with some nice fish, but as I still live at my parents house, this is not possible, they do not fancy the idea.

They keep thinking they'll have to do all the work.

When you have a good filter, after what period you have to change the water?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts