NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 beetle will not shift out of park. It's like the switch behind the brake is not releasing. I will tap it then it will work until the next time I put it in park. could this be the switch or something else? What is this switch called?
I am tapping the brake pedal that releases a pin that allows the shifter to go from park into gear. The oddest thing that happened was my whole instrument cluster went down before this problem happened (ie Speedometer, fuel gauge, rpm etc.)Thanks so much for your help and advice

c2stone :(

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The concept behind the forums is that you open a thread and people respond. You won't necessarily get an answer in the next couple of minutes. You have to go back and look at that thread for answers. You just posted this thread a few days ago, here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/52270-help.html

If you could not find the thread, you can find your threads by going to the "Serach" icon in the lower purple bar, click on "advanced search" and then enter your User ID in the box on the right side. Or you can click on your User ID in the top right corner, then click on "Statistics" in the blue bar, just above the guest message entry screen, then click on "view all posts" or "view all threads" started by yourself. Doing it your way, you will have answers all over the Org. Deb may come along and marry these two threads.

And yes, I had forgotten all about the brake light switch recall. I'll find the recall and post it up (not what Bugman posted, but the actual notice that went to the Dealer and the letter that went to the Owner, and the Campaign Work Procedure). I'm not sure this is the same recall, I thought I had seen the one for the 2001 specifically, but now can't find it. It may have been superceded by this one. See my next post.

The oddest thing that happened was my whole instrument cluster went down before this problem happened (ie Speedometer, fuel gauge, rpm etc.)
Oddly, there is another thread just started related to this part of your post, here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52313-2000-beetle-tach-speedo-fuel-gauge-not-working.html

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
As it may relate to this thread, I have posted below, in .pdf:

Safety Recall Circular - Code: N4/N400

Subject:
1998-2007 Jetta, 2001-2006 Jetta Wagon
1998-2007 New Beetle, 2003-2007 New Beetle Convertible
1999-2007 Golf/GTI, 2004 R32
2003-2005 Passat/Passat Wagon
Replace Brake Light Switch

Note, this does not pertain to all the above referenced vehicles, only ones using a certain switch, see the first page of the Campaign Work Procedure

MORAV

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts