NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I posted a topic a while back about how you first knew what you wanted to do with your life. Well, since then, I have done a lot of research, and I applied at the Savannah College of Art and Design. I actually never gave interior design a second thought. I thought I wanted to do Industrial or Product design. I kind of thought interior design was mostly "fluff," picking out curtains, pillows, etc. However, after looking at SCAD's interior design program, I think it is something I could seriously see myself doing. Especially corporate interior design.

Anyway, on to the question. I just wanted to know if there are any interior designers on the .Org (since there are a lot of creative types) and what a typical day might be like for you. I am really scared about transferring, and I just want to know if this is the right decision for me. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ryan

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
Yer gonna put pillows, curtains, and fluff
in yer Beetle? Freaky. Me rikey the idea.
You're such a dork! :rolleyes:
:ha:

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Architectural Designer (testing to become Architect right now)...

I have been around many good and bad Interior Designers in the many firms I have worked for. Their tasks ranged from basically what can be described as Interior Architecture - where they get to design and detail how the interior space works as well as how it is built as well as all of the finishes, lighting and furniture.
Others I have worked with have mainly worked with just the finishes, lighting styling and furniture.

It all depends on how a firm utilizes you and what your passion is for Interior Design.

The program that was taught at the school I got my Masters degree was geared more twords the Interior Architecture in decipline. The education they went through had a little product design, kiosk and interior architecture and of course color theory and finishes.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marvins_dad said:
The program that was taught at the school I got my Masters degree was geared more twords the Interior Architecture in decipline. The education they went through had a little product design, kiosk and interior architecture and of course color theory and finishes.
That's really what I want to do. Is it still called Interior Design or Interior Architecture? I would love to plan out spaces and do the more permanant things. I have just been going back and forth on it because I really don't want to end up with a "Trading Spacesesque" job.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
kaiimac said:
That's really what I want to do. Is it still called Interior Design or Interior Architecture? I would love to plan out spaces and do the more permanant things. I have just been going back and forth on it because I really don't want to end up with a "Trading Spacesesque" job.
Yeah - you might check out their studios to see what they are working on. Any good school will have their student models and projects on display around the school.

Also, it would be worth a look at the courses and descriptions that they offer in the Catalog.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts