NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
SLIMEBUG
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take longer before it re-locks? When trying to open the rear hatch from the door switch, I find myself clicking the switch and then literally diving for the hatch to get it open before the lock locks it again. Is there any way to increase the time that the hatch stays unlocked so I don't break my face one day trying to get it open?

(and before anyone says "use the key fob!" this is normally during times when the car is running and I need something out of the back).

Thanks in advance, wise NewBeetle.org Counsel!

·
SLIMEBUG
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oooooOOOOOOOoooooooh!

Gonna have to look for that pull doohikee when I go to the car this afternoon.

Now, when you say, "push on the trunk bottom," do you mean pull up on it? Does pushing on the bottom of the hatch do anything?

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,997 Posts
What year car do you have? Not all NBs have the handle. Only the early ones with the rear emblem that swiveled.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
1998-2002 (early) have the swiveling emblem on the hatch.

The hatch shouldn't be "re-latching" before you get back to it. The '03 does this, but it's all a matter of getting it adjusted so it pops up a little higher. Nope, I don't have directions but I'm sure there are some around here.

·
marienkäfer
21 Posts
i've been having strange issues with my hatch as well. it seems to somehow...catch, when either the door release or key fob release is pressed. there's a faint grinding sound and not much in the way of opening. i had hoped there was a key opening method, but i must have a later 2002 because the emblem does not appear to move at all.

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
Two questions

-How would i go about adjusting my latch?Its a '99,i too have to jump for it before it relatches
-My hatch handle seems to flop without tension,doesnt it suppose to open the trunk 'er something?

Neither my gas lid opener noR(<3) my hatch release switches work,silly gremlins....:p

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Rear hatch release...

I had my rear hatch adjusted a couple of times by the dealer and it now stays unlatched after I unlock it by key fob or inner switch about 25% of the time. There is an adjustment that actually fixes this condition but it doesn't last very long. It involves adjusting the closed position of the hatch so there is more pressure on the hatch to open but be careful when doing this because it can create other closing problems like a hard to latch hatch. When my left arm heals from a triple fracture I will have to adjust it once more. JK

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
when the hatch pops open, it's supposed to open enough so when it re-locks it doesnt catch on the.. uhmm... catch on the trunk opening.

there are bump stops on either side of the hatch, they can be adjusted to help hold the trunk up, if that doesn't help, the spring in the catch assembly is too worn out. The metal flaps on the sides of the catch push up on the latch when it unlocks to push the hatch up. I'm pretty sure that spring does most of the work.

I don't know if it's adjustable, but i know a few people replaced that assembly and it fixed their problem. I had this problem too, but i either flicked the switch then closed the door so the air pressure pushed it up, or i was already in back with the fob.

I hope this cleared everything up. :)

·
9,487 Posts
-My hatch handle seems to flop without tension,doesnt it suppose to open the trunk 'er something?
The 98 - 01 handle doesn't have the unlocking mechanism in it, it's just a spring loaded handle that pops up when you swivel the badge around. it doesn't do anything. :rolleyes:

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
The 98 - 01 handle doesn't have the unlocking mechanism in it, it's just a spring loaded handle that pops up when you swivel the badge around. it doesn't do anything. :rolleyes:
I suppose I have some work to do,the handle doesn't even pop out

:(

Ill take a look at those two flaps on opposite sides of the hatch latch. One is stiff and the other is rather springy,easier to push down.

Thank you bunches Toad :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just posted about this problem a couple of weeks ago. I have a 2003, so I don't have a swivel emblem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know this is an older thread, but were you able to fix this? Mine kind of does the same thing. The hatch latch releases, but if I don't open it within like 2-3 seconds, it latches up again. If Im using the door release, I literally have to sprint or leap to the back before the motor (or whatever it is), makes a noise and hooks back up. My trunk light wasn't working and because it was the assembly (not just a bulb), two mechanics assumed they were connected. Well, almost 250.00 later, the new assembly fixed the light, but not the hatch. They've adjusted it, moved it around, etc, and it still has this problem. The wierd thing is, once in a while it works and it seems to do ok for a while after lubricating, but I prefer to just fix it than constantly spray it or stand over it with the fob. He said his next step will be to call VW but hopefully it's something simple or if not, I can give him an idea of what it really is. Any suggestions?

The thread:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/37651-unable-open-trunk.html

·
SLIMEBUG
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it looks like the hatch in the Slime green bug needs a new pop spring. The bump stops are already pushed as far out as they can go. The spring isn't kicking the door up enough to prevent it from relatching.

Anyone have the procedures to replace the spring and cost?

·
9,487 Posts
Well, it looks like the hatch in the Slime green bug needs a new pop spring. The bump stops are already pushed as far out as they can go. The spring isn't kicking the door up enough to prevent it from relatching.

Anyone have the procedures to replace the spring and cost?
I want to get my hands on a bug to try the swap. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the spring from the assembly and replace it with a stronger one, or mod the assembly to put more tension on the spring...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts