VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
mOOnrover
116 Posts
The preload bolts NOT the bump stops provide the pop. Bump stops only limit the travel when closing and help with rattle. Preload bolts do what the name implies, preload the mechanism so as to "pop-up" upon release. This should be just enough to get your fingers under the hatch even after the latch has locked again. The amount the hatch raises is barely noticeable, but allows you to walk slowly back and raise the hatch as intended by the designers. You would only need to change your struts if the hatch didn't stay up after you raised it by hand...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks!
My hatch stays up but at the very top. If it should be just enough space to insert fingers than I'll give adjusting these bolts a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hatch not opening

is there a way to open the rear hatch from inside? i have tried the switch on the door and i can here a faint click but still doesnt open.... the key lock in the hatch has been removed for some reason and the handle doesnt do anything... i just need a way to open the rear hatch PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
mOOnrover
116 Posts
Any suggestions for those of us who have "maxed out" the turns on the bolts yet still have the same issue?
Just a guess but it may be that the hinge hardware has yielded. Meaning that the pressure exerted by the bolts has bent the hinge. You would have to look for that. You could use something to temporarily shim the bolts to see if it helps. You could also use longer bolts. They are just basically bolts. If you could find the right thread pattern...

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
:confused: Nobody knows about this yet :confused:

Press your drivers side window button to down. When it has reached the position where the window is at it's.. all the way down position turn your key to half on. Hold the boot button up and also the down window switch.

Only hold the down window switch for as long as you want the rear boot to stay unlocked for before locking again.

In mine i held it down for 30 seconds.

When you do the key fob or boot unlock it will NOT lock for 30 seconds ;)

·
It's a Wonder
9 Posts
:confused: Nobody knows about this yet :confused:

Press your drivers side window button to down. When it has reached the position where the window is at it's.. all the way down position turn your key to half on. Hold the boot button up and also the down window switch.

Only hold the down window switch for as long as you want the rear boot to stay unlocked for before locking again.

In mine i held it down for 30 seconds.

When you do the key fob or boot unlock it will NOT lock for 30 seconds ;)
Oh...Ok That's sounds simple enough,:confused:

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
What is the "boot" button? I am still learning.. :rolleyes:

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bump stops are fine. You need to adjust the hinge preload device on both sides. Open the hatch and look at the hinge area and turn the 8mm bolt counter clockwise on each side. Keep them even by keeping track of how many turns per side. Mine took 2 or so turns. Check to see when it pops up. This bolt pushes down on the hinge arm and when the latch releases, the bolt preload "pops" the hatch...:)
Thanks for the tip, Professor. I'm pretty sure this will solve my little trunk issue as well. My trunk acts up in this manner only once in a while but I'm sure it's simply a case of the preload device being just a tad under-compressed and thereby not providing enough 'pop.'

EDIT: A half-turn counter-clockwise on each side did the trick. My trunk now pops open fully each and every time. :)

·
Blue ones are faster!
201 Posts
Man this forum ROCKS!
I just got my '04 and have been dealing with this little issue...I thought there was something fishy with it! As with all used vehicles theres usally something to tweak.

Im going to try the bolt trick tomorrow and will report back, Il also try the timer trick with the window button and hatch button....Ill report back sometime this weekend!:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Finally fixed my '05 a couple of months ago, only 40,000 miles after the original post. The '05 took about 4 turns, my '06 took about 2.5 turns.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Prof. Pat Pend:

YOU...ARE...A...GENIUS!!! Your adjustment worked like a charm! Only had to back mine out about 1 full turn on each side. Hatch pops open nice and high so I don't have to slide/skip/dive/injure myself trying to get to the hatch.

I will dance shirtless at your next family reunion, Prof. Pat Pend!
Holy thread revival Batman :batman:

I know this thread is an older one; but I believe that Prof Pat Pend deserves another pat on the back and another shirtless dancer at his next wedding. I have not been able to open my hatch while alone without pulling up as I push the button on my remote since I got Iggy a few months back. I just went out and did the recommended adjustment and BAM I can open my hatch now with the release button on the door now...that simple. I actually started with only a quarter turn and ended up going back in some so it ended up being only about an eighth of a turn each to put Iggy back in working order. This works out wonderfully since my purse disappeared 2 days before Christmas along with my blessed remote so I am back down to nothing but a valet key that is useless for getting the hatch open until I can afford to replace my remote :(.

A million thanks to you my friend :D

·
Drivers Wanted
24 Posts
The org and forums are working EXACTLY how they are intended: posting useful information for NB owners to fall back and reference upon, for years to come.

Case in point: this thread was started in 2010. Here we are FOUR YEARS LATER, and I stumbled across it last night. In addition, I have owned my car for 12 years and have just learned to adapt to the hatch-dive as just "some unique characteristic of those silly Volkswagens". My family, friends, exes, and current bf have all also learned this trait of my NB Baby over the years.

After reading the thread last night, and going out to my NB this afternoon with an 8 mm socket...WHAMMO! She is cured!! :eek:

Attachments

·
Damn I Love This Car!!!!
57 Posts
**Bump**

I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Been dealing with this problem since I got my car. Dealer fixed it once, but it didn't last.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.