NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke one side of the jack when plugging in the VAG-COM. I can still get it connected, but have to cram my little finger in beside it and hold it while I plug in the adapter, which is really quite unpleasant.

Has anyone had to replace this jack? How difficult? Do I have to run a new cable all the way to the engine computer?

Thanks!

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
I have not found a part # for it, mine was lost up in the hole when I bought the car. It is just a plastic ring around the OBDII port that needs replacement, mine has been broken more than 3.5 years, hooked up to a friends Jetta yesterday and his is broken on one side also ... and it also looks like it could be the same part. I think we need to let places like ECS Tuning, impex and others know the need for this part.

If you pull the panel under the steering wheel you can fish it out of the hole and there is about 8-10 inchs of slack in the cable to dangle it through the hole. I just put mine back up there when I don't need it and know how to easily get it down when I do.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Yeah, just fix it, don't replace it.

Remove the under-dash parts [couple of torx I'm sure] pull the port out through the hole. And I dunno, might sound ghetto, but you could probably even just wrap it a few times in electrical tape to bulk it up so that it wont slide around. I'm sure there's another option, just think creatively.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I did!!!

I had my scagauge plugged in (as it always needs to be) and i kicked it with my work boot getting in the car one night after work.

I just pfipped it the other way around and mounted it with the un-broken mounts. It made it a pita to get to hte scan port, but the scanner was always plugged in anyway.

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
The bracket around my port was broken at a dealership a few years ago while I was in Florida. I was pretty angry when I noticed a few weeks later back here in Oklahoma, and I called demanding that they fix it. Well, it turned out it was just the plastic frame that holds the actual plug under the dash, and I think it was like $15 for the bracket. It was held in with 2 screws and the plug just snapped into it.

I hope this is all that your problem is, too!

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Yes, I don't remember, and I wish!

I think they did have to order it for me, but they're able to get stuff within a few days. And if you wanted it shiny, go to a model shop and buy Bare Metal, real metal leaf with adhesive backing! It can make your whole interior sparkly!

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
SilverSportNOLA said:
No ... don't need it to be metal for the look ... just for it to not break again. Anyone putting their head down their for the sites .... are not looking in that direction!
I've messed around in that area (OBD port, don't get any ideas! :D ) quite a bit with my Vag-Com and haven't had any problems since. The cable is a pretty tight fit and it's all still holding together just fine. I think something funky just happened that one time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts