NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 98 and the passenger door is stuck closed. I have tried to get the door panel off with no luck. The door will unlock. I can pull the outside or the inside handles. They feel like they are unhooked. Can anybody give me any advise????? Im sure that somehow it can be opened.I was told to pull the outside handle open and I should ba able to pull the cable out further. I have looked and I think the cable is broken. Once its open I can fix it,thats not a problem.....Thanks in Advance.....;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, since the only method I knew to suggest didn't work, I have a couple thoughts...

Or, as a last resort

Nope, sorry, I gave you what I had!

Hopefully someone will come along who has been in the same boat...

M.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Use the saw, cleaner/straighter cuts no radiation burns or crumpelled metal.:p Other than that........remove the two screws under the door handle and bend/pry the upper part of the panel upwards out of the top of the door at the window. Once it clears you will be able to bend it back towards you a bit and reach in from above and pull the broken cable and release the door from its latch. The door panel is very flexy and should withstand what you need to do. A second destructive method, pry out the interior door release lever with its black housing from the door panel and fish inside for the cable and pull to release.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im ready to hook a chain around the DOOR and pull it off the car.......:mad: This is not my first clam bake, however I did manage to break the window trying to get it open. IT WILL NOT UNLOCK.....The lock pulls up and it acts like it is unlocked but its not. A friend and who have opened MANY DOORS can not get it open. I think they made that THIEF PROOF!!!!!

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
If you are willing to destroy something you really only need to bust up the door panel. Just dremel out what you need. The release cable goes along the top of the door and goes over to the door lock mechanism/module. Did you release the drivers door panel to see what it all looks like? Its identical on the passenger side. Replacement panels can be found probably for cheap at a salvage or something. With me the lock mechanism corroded and made the door do the opposite it would never latch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how to get it open with a CHAIN SAW!!!! lol Im trying not to destroy the hole car.....:rolleyes: I thought about pulling the other side apart and see what is doing on that side.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I know how to get it open with a CHAIN SAW!!!! lol Im trying not to destroy the hole car.....:rolleyes: I thought about pulling the other side apart and see what is doing on that side.
i can't see a chainsaw working well. As when i hit a nail in a tree with my Stihl it blunts the teeth quicker than cola.

Strange thing is, The door is held on only by 2 hinges and a u lock on the pillar. Otherwise the door shell itself has been twisted or warped somehow, and now it's wedged. :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried coat hangers,screwdrivers,and a hammer. I think im going to try to take a hack-saw and cut the door latch. The part the door latch catches on the post. I even drilled a hole in the plastic housing and sprayed in some penatrating oil. I will take a picture of the broken parts in the latch when I get it open. PITA!!!!!!:mad:

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Sacrifice the door panel. Take a dremel tool or pry back the panel near the latch and find the cable. Using pliers, pull on cable, and say a prayer first. God works in mysterious ways.
Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was being serious about the Sawzall. Sounds like it may be the only recourse. Top o' the mornin' to ya', Blugg!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping someone would tell me to push on a certain spot on the latch and it would open. I have a hole shop full of tools to destroy the door. I was trying to ovoid alot of broken parts.....;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was hoping someone would tell me to push on a certain spot on the latch and it would open. I have a hole shop full of tools to destroy the door. I was trying to ovoid alot of broken parts.....;)
Yes, I know that, but aside from that first link I gave you, I've seen nothing on here. Even searched over on the Vortex. Keep hoping... :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Good Afternoon Morav :D

I have PM'd the OP a link as don't think it's right to put it on here for all and sundry to see. Not a direct hit on how to open it. But gives a few ideas :)

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
If you have accessed the cable and pulled on the inner cable NOT the sleeve and the door still did not open then you need to go directly to the door lock module. Have you taken the drivers door panel off to compare? It will really help. If the cable has come off the module end then you need to remove the door panel totally so you can remove the inner steel panel cover to access the door latch completely without destroying the body of the car or the steel of the door. The inner black steel door panel is removable from the inside with the door shut once the door panel that you see right now is removed. The module is the latch, so once you reach the module you will see the arm the cable goes to it is either snapped or the cable is not attached at that point.
There will be nothing stopping you from releasing the door at this point. Just use a flat head screwdriver at the latch. The module is behind the steel door panel so it will not be accessible until that inner panel is unbolted at least on the latch side. You probably don't have to remove it all around as it will bend backwards allowing you access to the module. To sum up you will need to sacrifice the door panel and door lock module to get the door open without really damaging the body of the car or the steel portions of the door.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Looking for something else today, I stumbled on this. Don't know whether it will help or not, as this had to do with the DLM R&R, not your problem.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts