NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am! I haven't done it in years, but i just found my MD recorder. Next i have to buy a new mic. I saw a nice Sony stereo mic online for $200. Does anyone know of a nice stereo mic that that is fairly small that i might either conceal or mount on a small stand? I had a nice mic, but it's now lost. Wish i still had it.

It was great, i used to go to the show, record the entire show, and pop the adapter out and listen to the show again on the way home. The quality was never perfect when i had to hide the equipment, but when i could mount the mic somewhere they sounded pretty damn good. When i found my recorder again there was just such a disc inside. Apparently the last show i recorded was Dashboard Confessional. Probably and the now defunct Krome/Club Bene'. Now i have to find all my old discs.

Also, does anyone know of a PC peripheral that plays MD audio on a PC without a line in/out setup? I tried looking online, but all i could find was data.

Anyway, just sharing some joy.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
FineExampl said:
I am! I haven't done it in years, but i just found my MD recorder. Next i have to buy a new mic. I saw a nice Sony stereo mic online for $200. Does anyone know of a nice stereo mic that that is fairly small that i might either conceal or mount on a small stand? I had a nice mic, but it's now lost. Wish i still had it.

It was great, i used to go to the show, record the entire show, and pop the adapter out and listen to the show again on the way home. The quality was never perfect when i had to hide the equipment, but when i could mount the mic somewhere they sounded pretty damn good. When i found my recorder again there was just such a disc inside. Apparently the last show i recorded was Dashboard Confessional. Probably and the now defunct Krome/Club Bene'. Now i have to find all my old discs.

Also, does anyone know of a PC peripheral that plays MD audio on a PC without a line in/out setup? I tried looking online, but all i could find was data.

Anyway, just sharing some joy.
You ask, I answer. This is up my alley, big time.

I have this:
SONY® MZM10 Hi-MD Portable Recorder

Description: This Hi-MD portable audio recorder is ideal for journalists and musicians who need to make high-quality stereo audio recordings using cost-effective removable storage media. The MZ-M10 recorder comes supplied with an ECM-DS70P Stereo Microphone and MDR-EO931 Earbud Headphone. The recorder uses affordable Hi-MD media with 1 GB storage capacity. Three recording modes are supported including: Linear (PCM) 44.1kHz/16-bit, ATRAC3plus 256kbps (Hi-SP) mode and ATRAC3plus 64bps (Hi-LP) mode. The recorder supports USB uploading + downloading with PC (using supplied Sonic Stage software), and USB uploading with MAC (using supplied Hi-MD WAV importer software), allowing transferring audio recordings to a computer in .Wav file format. This Hi-MD device can also be used as a USB mass storage device, allowing storing data files on the Hi-MD disc along with audio recordings.

And, it's a SONY®, which means it's quality.

Now, does that help?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. When i bought mine it was top of the line; Sony MZ-R90, the only unit higher was the 900 which was only available in Japan. I think what i'll revert back to was using the optical in like i used to. I'd make high quality .wav files and convert to .mp3. It worked, but i always had trouble with the normalizing and occasional distortion. I did just get a new software program through a future relative so i think that will be history though.

Now, would that USB setup be available for older units? They used to sell something like what you describe, but i never bought it due to it's ridiculous price. I had a problem paying over $100 for a cable and adapter, which was all it ever was. However, if there was something more professional-like i'd be more interested. I just wish i had a Hi-MD. They came out with those long after i bought my unit.

Jeez, man, you do a little bit of everything. You should apply at the Oracle office.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
FineExampl said:
MD props dude! Shame it never truly caught on in the states.
You know, I got that quote of yours from the rep (thanks, BTW), but it deserves comment here. Yes, it's a dang shame it never caught on. I shake my head at it. It (being Mini Disc, for those who came in late), was/is the best recording media made that was/is portable. You could record and edit on it up to a million times. You could, with the right equipment, edit out a nano second and it seemed like less. I have a Pro Level MD Recorder here in my studio. It looks a bit like a CD/Recorder, but of course, it's a MD Recorder. You can add names to songs, and with the keyboard (yes, a qwerty keyboard), you can edit almost everything you can imagine. Record with optics. Analog. Bypass the modern recording blocks, you can.
I am using it right now, in fact, to record songs off DVD's to edit down for a CD for my wife. And, then I got that MD portable so I could use it to bring tracks to the computer via the USB cable. Little did I know that Santa was bringing me a laptop, so I could have that in the studio, but I digress.

Mini Disc is still used by musicians on the road, often as back up tracks. And if you ever watch David Letterman, you can see right over Paul's shoulder, the very same MD Recorder I have. Of course, it's a SONY®.

Now, would that USB setup be available for older units?
I am not sure about that. I can try to find out.

I just wish i had a Hi-MD. They came out with those long after i bought my unit.
It's great, I know that.

Jeez, man, you do a little bit of everything. You should apply at the Oracle office.
:D

Yeah, in my life I have been:
A Chief
A Restaurant Manager
A NAVY Radioman
A Sound Engineer
A Radio DJ
A Club DJ
And now a Preacher.

Oh, here is a (blurry) camera phone photo of TV TOP RECORDING STUDIOS, 2005 (the name has a story)
On TOP is my Mini Disc player/recorder...then a Dual Tape Deck, then a CD-R, a TV and two DVD players.
Under that, to the left in the picture, is my turn table, (all the previous gear is SONY®), then the mixer, then the lap top...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts