NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of work, I got my '99 beetle to the last code 16806(P0422) which is the cat code. Also I can hear the rattling sound when rpm is around 1500 which indicates the cat material falled out. I searched online found that vw conceded that the cats of these AEG engines have design problems and extended warranty to 10yr/120000mi. My car has 118000 miles but about 12 years...I checked with dealer they told me it's out of warranty. But I think since this is the manufacturer's fault, they should replace it for me, or at least give me a good part to replace. I serviced many cars, none of them have cat failed at such a low mileage. Before this car I had the shortest life cat was on a '01 Passat when it failed at 140000 miles.

I've already filed a complaint to BBB and waiting for response. I'm wondering if anyone has this experience with dealer when it's out of warranty but suffering from manufacture problems.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can call VW of America, customer care. Explain your problem. If they assign you a case # and person to it , that, is the person to make your case to. The case worker wields alot of discretion and is the person that can help you out. Be polite, I found it goes along way with them:D. All they ever hear are rude upset people:)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Its out of the extended warranty period, not much you can do. My '99 had 30k less miles than that last year and VW wouldn't cover the replacement on it. It was an extended warranty not a recall so really, they don't have to do anything for you.

You can get a cat replaced for cheap with an aftermarket unit. I had mine done for <$200, part and labor.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about this and I'm not expecting that they are willing to do anything. I'm just very angry about the parts quality they made. It's not like a normal wear or tear but it's a design issue. I know that I can get an aftermarket piece for like 100 bucks something and install it by myself. Just not happy with their crappy parts.

Its out of the extended warranty period, not much you can do. My '99 had 30k less miles than that last year and VW wouldn't cover the replacement on it. It was an extended warranty not a recall so really, they don't have to do anything for you.

You can get a cat replaced for cheap with an aftermarket unit. I had mine done for <$200, part and labor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2005 beetle 1.8t with P0420

So I was looking for answers and only find more questions. I recently got a p0420 code on my new to me 2005 beetle convertible 1.8 turbo s with 117,000 miles. I haven't seen anyone with this same car get a response on if in fact its covered or not. I called the dealership and they don't know either. Awaiting Hertzog Meyer VW in Beaverton OR for an answer as well.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Federal emissions warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles--which ever comes first.

And that includes converters. It effectively overrides any warranty provided by a dealership or car maker. (Unless the factory warranty is higher--in which case that's a good thing)

Case in point is a company Sprinter van I was driving blew out the EGR valve at 48,000 miles. The dealership attempted to bill the fleet company for the repair (about $875) I told the dealership they would have to eat the repair cost, as it fell in the federal warranty time frame. The shop manager didn't like me much after that conversation. I told him bluntly that the fleet company would NOT be paying any of the bill for the repair, including the usual fee for figuring out what failed.

Repair was done totally free of any cost. But it HAS to be in the federal warranty period, or an extended warranty provided by the dealership that covers emissions.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
So I was looking for answers and only find more questions. I recently got a p0420 code on my new to me 2005 beetle convertible 1.8 turbo s with 117,000 miles. I haven't seen anyone with this same car get a response on if in fact its covered or not. I called the dealership and they don't know either. Awaiting Hertzog Meyer VW in Beaverton OR for an answer as well.

Unless you have a fantastic extended warranty--This is out of the federal emissions warranty period.

S-

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a letter which only pertains to 1999-2001 2.0l Golf Beetle, and Jetta's for the extension of the warranty to 10/120k on a post card from VW of America. All of which are expired due to age. Bummer...

Well I'm looking at a MagnaFlow or Pace Setter direct fit as a replacement and just bolt it on. Anyone go the high flow rout and have problems?

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I had this repair done to my Son's '99 just before the recall expired and the replacement exhaust has started rattling again. I sent VW Customer Care a message to find out what the warranty was for the replacement; here is there response ...

"Reference # 000000000

Dear D2Beetle,

We want all of our drivers to feel confident when out on the road, and I’m sorry to learn that your New Beetle’s replacement exhaust is experiencing concerns.

The parts and labor for this exhaust repair, if performed at a Volkswagen dealer, are covered under a Spare Parts Warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first from the date of repair. If the repair was completed elsewhere but the exhaust is a genuine Volkswagen part, the exhaust only is covered for the time and mileage parameter mentioned above.

I encourage you to reach out to your repair facility to confirm spare parts coverage, or you may refer to your repair order if possible.
"

I am not certain if they realize that the repair was part of the Exhaust Recall. I have replied to this and I await their next reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts