NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some feedback on a lightweight flywheel and clutch upgrade. Who has done what and how do you like it. Thanks.

·
Vapor Transmission
166 Posts
Hey, nice mods there. Now i would suggest not to worry about your Clutch untill you Blow it. Its point less upgrading it. If and when you do blow, i would sugest using the VR6 Clutch. www.ecstuning.com they have eveything you need. Infact their Stage 1 Clutch/Flywheel kits on sale. That what i have on my car. The Flywheel is like a G60 Flywheel its much lighter than Stock. Good Luck and cheak out my Dub, click on my Sig

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
Zookie said:
Hey, nice mods there. Now i would suggest not to worry about your Clutch untill you Blow it. Its point less upgrading it. If and when you do blow, i would sugest using the VR6 Clutch. www.ecstuning.com they have eveything you need. Infact their Stage 1 Clutch/Flywheel kits on sale. That what i have on my car. The Flywheel is like a G60 Flywheel its much lighter than Stock. Good Luck and cheak out my Dub, click on my Sig
Tell me more! Speed's clutch is SHOT. He was acting funny right before I got the new GLI, but I haven't dirven him since then. I pulled him out of the garage yesterday for a wash/drive and I knew what the problem was: the clutch. I laready e-mailed ECS about the kit and asked for a quote for installation since they are only 45 minutes from me.

What is the advantage of going with the VR6 clutch? What is the average cost for installation? Will my 2.0L have flywheel damage due to my worn out clutch?

This is my first manual tranny car, so I'm clueless about clutches (well, replacement that is).

·
Vapor Transmission
166 Posts
The VR6 clutch is just Beefier than the stock one. It cant take more beating. Well i doono install, my friends shop did it for me whihc was real chea. You are looking around $200+ USD. You will probley not have damaged Flywheel, i cant say.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Install for me was $300 - $500 when I had the dealership do it. It's been a while, I'm not sure. All total it cost me 'bout 1G. Way too much; I've since changed it on my own. It's pretty involved and I don't recommend it to anyone. Took 3 jacks and alot of work to get things back right.

The VR6 pressure plate and clutch are bigger than stock, you won't be able to use your stock flywheel anyway. (This'll also lighten it as you'd lose the dual=mass flywheel) It'll also make getting moving in 1st a little trickier.

The VR6 setup was great, I'd recommend it to anyone. I got my setup through velocitymotorsports, not sure if they're even around anymore. It was a flywheel from a G60 (corrado motor) lightened to 11lbs. Then a clutch disc from centerforce; and a oem(Sachs) VR6 pressure plate. The flywheel's held up great, I'm on a Spec clutch now, and still using the same flywheel. :)

(btw, when my orig clutch died, it welded itself to the pressure plate; and blue'd the flywheel.... deffinately not re-usable at that point)

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
prettygood said:
I'm looking for some feedback on a lightweight flywheel and clutch upgrade. Who has done what and how do you like it. Thanks.
I went with the Autotech stage2 clutch kit and lighten flywheel. I love the way it grabs, faster revs and jsut all around feels better. I just got done Sat swaping it from my first bug to my second one along with the tranny. I had totaled the firts one. My roommate and I did everything ourselves in my apt garage in a few hours. FYI : the upgraded front swaybar may get in the way, so draining the fluid and removing the hub will help alot.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NB Turbo Freak...

How does the Autotech stage 2 feel? Is it like stock and if so is it different enough that my wife would notice? I want it to be as similar to the stock pedal feel as possible, but the Autotech stage 2 is what I am looking at getting. for the price, the 10 lb flywheel and Sachs power clutch seem to be a good setup. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts