NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We stopped at the VW house to pick up some antifreeze on Saturday and I got to inspect my first '06. They had one on the lot that would've been perfect if it had been TDI (Salsa red GLS w/the 17" wheels, oooooooohhh it was pretty!). I did talk to the sales guy about ordering one, but I'm not an impulse buyer and the common-sense side of my brain was telling me to wait until spring to order.

Anyone out there driving one yet? What's the verdict? I could probably pick up an 05 a little cheaper, but since we tend to keep our cars a long time I was leaning toward the 06. I'm kinda on the fence about the flattened fenders, though.

And has anyone else seen the '06 dvd? My kids kept saying, "What's with the yo-yo's? I thought they were selling cars!" LOL, I kinda enjoyed it myself:rolleyes:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I'm not but I would love one. There are a couple of 06's here on the org now. Check out the photo threads! :goodjob: They're pretty. I would reccomend checking out fleghorn's NB. What a beautiful car and I love the rims! (I know I cant stop saying it) I'm pretty sure its a TDi too!

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CyberGreenBaby said:
I'm not but I would love one. There are a couple of 06's here on the org now. Check out the photo threads! :goodjob: They're pretty. I would reccomend checking out fleghorn's NB. What a beautiful car and I love the rims! (I know I cant stop saying it) I'm pretty sure its a TDi too!
Thanks, CGB, I found 3 '06's on there and they are gorgeous! And we went back and forth all the way home as to Salsa Red v. Shadow Blue... fleghorn's is awesome looking! I asked the sales guy about the blue but he hadn't seen one yet. I'm sure if they'd had one on the lot I would really be in a mess trying to pick.

Dang it, now I'm back to gotta-have-one. And I guess I'm officially off the fence on the side of loving the new fenders. Hmmm, my birthday's in February, that'd be just about the right timeline if I order soon... :flowers:

·
18,312 Posts
deeceedub said:
Thanks, CGB, I found 3 '06's on there and they are gorgeous! And we went back and forth all the way home as to Salsa Red v. Shadow Blue... fleghorn's is awesome looking! I asked the sales guy about the blue but he hadn't seen one yet. I'm sure if they'd had one on the lot I would really be in a mess trying to pick.

Dang it, now I'm back to gotta-have-one. And I guess I'm officially off the fence on the side of loving the new fenders. Hmmm, my birthday's in February, that'd be just about the right timeline if I order soon... :flowers:
That would have to be the most awesome B-day present EVER!!! Hope ya get what ya want!! :goodjob:

·
Booyakasha
33 Posts
i don't know about u guys but wat happened to "round for a reason"?? The flat fenders may be suitable for the ragster since the roof is flattened, but for the normal bug??...The oval front headlights are a plus if someone can create a good looking wide bodykit...still prefer the Turbo S look....nothing else better compared to that!!

·
18,312 Posts
Naen said:
i don't know about u guys but wat happened to "round for a reason"?? The flat fenders may be suitable for the ragster since the roof is flattened, but for the normal bug??...The oval front headlights are a plus if someone can create a good looking wide bodykit...still prefer the Turbo S look....nothing else better compared to that!!
The NB is still round. If you look at the sides of the fenders on the 2005 and older NBs the fender are squared, just a little less than the 2006's. And as far as I can see, maybe I'm wrong..the headlights are still the same shape.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
My wife Mary just picked up her "06" yesterday and she loves it. About the new look, it isn't really so new, we have been admiring the squared-off fender look for some time, first with the RSI, and lately with the Ragster Concept. Also the fenders now match the roofline alot more closely. Don't get me wrong, as most of you know I own a "00" that I am crazy about, but I think more than a few people will be suprised about how they feel about the style changes once they see the car face to face.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
To the average eye, no difference. But I must say...look at the size of those windshields! :eek:

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Yeah we noticed that too. Also look at the headlights. And I havn't checked it yet but my sister was looking at the cars side by side and said she thought my dash was longer.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
AWESOME pic! thanks for posting it! any chance i could persuade you to take and post more pics of them together? i am sure we'd all love to see the comparison! i am liking the '06s more and more all the time (not that i ever hated them).

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
I saw my first 06 today......those tail lights are GORGEOUS! Thats about all I got to see of it because we were in heavy traffic after our homecoming game and they were a few car lengths in front of me in a different lane.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
The headlights look like they used the same headlight and just added on an extended lense. If you look at the side by side picture, the 00 beetle headlights look almost exactly like the 06 headlights,but the 06 headlights have an extended lense added on it seems. It know it's more complicated than that, but thats how it looks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are quite afew changes some more subtle than others. The most notable changes are the foglights, rear tail lens, the convertible power switch, front indicator, "honeycomb" front mesh, I will take up close pics tomorrow. If you want other pics PM me and I will take them.

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
My wife, Karen, and I went out today and test drove the new '06 with the 5 cylinder engine. The new engine is very nice. 100% better than the 2.0, and though it has been awhile since I drove the turbo, it seems better than the turbo as well. The torque and HP gave it a very quick response (no turbo and no turbo lag), and I was able to spin the front tires effortlessly on take off. It is very tempting to trade in Otto just for the new engine and transmission alone.

Small changes to the interior over my '99. The hazard button is now between the center vents, the instrument cluster has different face, and the cup holders are now below the arm rest, and can fit tall drinks. The area under the center console is now a big open tray, with pop outs to hold more drinks (or possibly a smokers package). I am sure there are more things about the interior, but I only glanced around.

I am sure others have figured out the new rear lighting arangement. The round white lights in the tail lights are turn signals. The lights down low are the reverse indicators.

The 5 cylinder engine takes up less room under the hood, and there is a large empty space behind it towards the fire wall. The air box seems better placed, and it has a different battery cover. The oil refill area is now much easier to get to, but it looks like everything else would be impossible to service without removing the engine or coming up from underneath. Also, no plastic engine cover.

Other than that, it is still basically the same as my '99. I personally like the new nose, and fenders... the rear tail light is as ugly as the pictures... looks like big eyeballs. I would replace those as quickly as I could (my opinion, I know some like them).

I wasn't as pleased with the color selection, as I have been with other model years.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
The 06 NBs are nice, but I have to say the tail lights and front bumper are weird. Besides 2005 was the last year for blue lagoon and that's been my favorite color for awhile. I'm glad I got my bug last year, especially since there's a 2-3 month wait here in Ft Collins for TDIs.

Cori

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
I like pretty much everything but those squared off corner lights, those ruin the flow of the car for me - more so since the heads and tails are still classically oval.
:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a new '06 owner and posted some pics up here. Here's some initial impressions....

The Roof.
OMG it's wonderful. It's an electric one and so is simple as hell. When it's down the cover
keeps it neat and tidy and although it marrs rear visibility a bit, it's not a huge deal. And I
think it's the easiest roof I've seen to put back up. Simply twist the handle and it kinda
locks itself into place. With the roof fully up it's quiet and solid and tbh feels like a hardtop.
Full marks VW, *so* many manufacturers get convertibles wrong. The interior light sits
under the rear-view mirror - nice touch. :)

The Body.
It's a subtle change over the older models but worth it imo. I think they look a bit meaner
and sportier. Love the rear lights. I really dig the pastel colours and it's almost the same
as an old air-cooled campervan I used to own. :D

The Interior.
People say VWs don't give you value-for-money but I don't agree. I don't know how much
different it is to the previous Bugs, but the design is first class. Everything is easy to read
and understand and all the dials and stuff are thoughtfully located. There's a handy lock
for the trunk and some of the storage compartments. The XM Satellite Radio is superb and
the sound system in general kicks ass. Feels remarkably roomy up-front.

The Seats.
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Heated too. *Very* comfy and toasty warm on full blast.

The A/C.
I drove around with the roof down on a cold Saturday night with the seats on full and
the aircon on 3. It was too hot. Had to turn everything down. Cold air is equally top.

Interior Lights.
At night, this thing feels like a Tie Fighter inside. I love the red and blue lighting.

Performance/Transmission.
The 2.5 goes like **** off a stick. It's quiet and smooth but kick the accelerator and
it takes off. Sport mode is noticably more aggressive and the tiptronic switch works
flawlessly. It's just FUN.

Handling.
No complaints. Feels like most veedubs, solid and confident. I've taken one or two
hairy corners and the car ate them up.

All-in-all, the best car I've ever owned. Better than my old European Corrado VR6. Only
downsides are the small trunk and limited rear seating space. But hey, for sheer fun
factor, it's worth compromising for I reckon. :D Design-wise, it's very hard to fault.

·
Registered
163 Posts
CoriBug said:
The 06 NBs are nice, but I have to say the tail lights and front bumper are weird. Besides 2005 was the last year for blue lagoon and that's been my favorite color for awhile. I'm glad I got my bug last year, especially since there's a 2-3 month wait here in Ft Collins for TDIs.

Cori
i'll quote you, because i agree with you :)

i spent a lot of time oogling an 06 at my dealer while my car was in last week. the slightly larger size is apparent, so i think the flat fenders are nice to keep it looking trim.

still DON'T like the tails :( very sorry to say :( it still looks cross-eyed. and i like the oval corner lights. they just seem to blend in better.

the one i saw has chrome around the inside vents, which IS very nice. i'm kind of jealous of that. ;)

i was thinking recently that i'm really glad i have an 05, because now he's sort of the last of a generation... sigh! :rolleyes: like if i had an 05 jetta... i think i'd hold onto it forever!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
herTDI said:
i'll quote you, because i agree with you :)

i spent a lot of time oogling an 06 at my dealer while my car was in last week. the slightly larger size is apparent, so i think the flat fenders are nice to keep it looking trim.

still DON'T like the tails :( very sorry to say :( it still looks cross-eyed. and i like the oval corner lights. they just seem to blend in better.

the one i saw has chrome around the inside vents, which IS very nice. i'm kind of jealous of that. ;)

i was thinking recently that i'm really glad i have an 05, because now he's sort of the last of a generation... sigh! :rolleyes: like if i had an 05 jetta... i think i'd hold onto it forever!

Right back at ya! The little upgrades VW did inside are nice, but I just can't get used to the exterior. But if it gets new people interested, what the heck, it's worth it.

Cori

1 - 20 of 41 Posts