VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a drop in K&N air filter...and I wanna do the "snow box" removal I hear about...what is that all about...and how long does is take?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The Snowbox is an extension to the air filter box that you see inside the engine bay.

It snaked through the driver side fender, in a Z shape almost. It sits right above the tire, in the plastic liner area. The design is such so that the car can be driven in tire-high water and not take in any water, and something to do with snow but I really have no idea.

It's not a BAD design, but it does make the engine struggle for air. If performance is your goal, it's removal is a must.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how long?

How long does it take to remove...also is it necessary to remove the fender?...anyone has pictures of this?

·
big poster turned lurker.
2003 Turbo S
9,495 Posts
it doeesn't take long to remove. All you need to do is take off the tire and fender liner and it's right there. It's only held in by one or two bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Marvin -- thanks for posting those pics!! I forgot they were on the old forums, and they do show what the snowbox is.

I believe you can get away with just taking the fender liner (black thing that covers the wheel well) out to remove it...

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
kcfoxie said:
Marvin -- thanks for posting those pics!! I forgot they were on the old forums, and they do show what the snowbox is.

I believe you can get away with just taking the fender liner (black thing that covers the wheel well) out to remove it...

Yeah - the how-to I posted shows the process...
I like your pics though - really illustrate where they are looking, where it is located and what they are removing.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
marvins_dad said:
Yeah - the how-to I posted shows the process...
I like your pics though - really illustrate where they are looking, where it is located and what they are removing.
feel free to use them as references!

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
dvious said:
so does my car have one of these? 02' Turbo S?

just curious.
Yup - sure does.

JD - took his out as soon as he got his.

All models come with it. I haven't had the fender off of an '06 yet, but I would imagine they would have a similar one.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
just finished a new mod to the OEM airbox. i picked up a CAI from TMTuning and just didnt like it. i had purchased some 3" neoprene aircraft tubing for it but since i wasnt going to use it I opted to do an easy mod.

since our airboxes are actually good and rated real high in HP i ran this from the front grill up.

all pics are on my flickr set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneighturbo/sets/72057594122259129/

vs

restrictive junk ive had in to long after the snowbox removal

1 - 20 of 40 Posts