NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1.9L Beetle? I am planning to add the EGT,water temp gauges in our Beetle and not sure where exactly to install in on the motor..

·
Registered
26 Posts
do you have the egr still inplace? if so you have to drill and tap the maniflod. if you dont have the egr you can put the probe in the block off plate. hope that helps. :)

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning to remove the EGR and replace the pipe with a Dieselgeek racepipe...Apparently,they have a provision to mount one there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you get a CEL then? I was led to believe you have to get a tune after the race pipe install and the CEL would likely show up..
well on my 98 i did not get one. from reading on tdiclub, some do and some don't. I would suggest doing it and if you get a cel, get a stage 1 through 3 tune. its addictive. trust me on that.

·
Master Technician
11 Posts
I strongly advise against the racepipe. You won't really see any performance increase without extensive mods and if you ever have a runaway you will have one less item to help get the engine shut down. You can tune out the EGR to stop the manifold clog or simply remove it after a tune.
BTW, I have a logged Malone stage 3 tune, 11MM pump, PP357 nozzles and a 2.5 full SS exhaust w/o muffler. It runs great and still has full EGR. I had to upgrade the clutch from a g-60 to a SBC stage 2 endurance. All this with no race pipe. I also repair TDI's all day long.

·
TDI Owner
172 Posts
I strongly advise against the racepipe. You won't really see any performance increase without extensive mods and if you ever have a runaway you will have one less item to help get the engine shut down. You can tune out the EGR to stop the manifold clog or simply remove it after a tune.
BTW, I have a logged Malone stage 3 tune, 11MM pump, PP357 nozzles and a 2.5 full SS exhaust w/o muffler. It runs great and still has full EGR. I had to upgrade the clutch from a g-60 to a SBC stage 2 endurance. All this with no race pipe. I also repair TDI's all day long.
may be a stupid question but whats a runaway?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
When the engine is running off of oil blowby or exhaust gasses. You can turn the car off via the ignition but the engine will still run. You need to stall it out or there will be engine damage. No bueno.

·
Registered
950 Posts
When the engine is running off of oil blowby or exhaust gasses. You can turn the car off via the ignition but the engine will still run. You need to stall it out or there will be engine damage. No bueno.
Whoa, that sounds freaky.

I guess that only occurs with modifications?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Or a worn engine. More common with the older diesels but it can happen to any of them.

This is a pretty good explanation: Diesel engine runaway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Damn.

So um....

Should I be concerned that my engine loses oil over time then? Is that oil being lost due to a weak seal and being burnt off? Is my engine mere seconds away from running away to join the circus?

Dammit, this is like reading an article about some rare disease and then getting all worried about catching it.:eek:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I don't hear much about it in the newer TDIs but it certainly isn't impossible. Though diesels all tend to use some oil. Best thing you can do is get educated and know how to shut off the engine if runaway does occur.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn.

So um....

Should I be concerned that my engine loses oil over time then? Is that oil being lost due to a weak seal and being burnt off? Is my engine mere seconds away from running away to join the circus?

Dammit, this is like reading an article about some rare disease and then getting all worried about catching it.:eek:
Better than having said rare disease and then find out you now have it...:D:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts