NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has purchased mud flap? If so, is it worthwhile. I hear they keep the sides of the car clean.

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Izzie said:
Was wondering if anyone has purchased mud flap? If so, is it worthwhile. I hear they keep the sides of the car clean.
The mudflaps were on my bug when I bought it, so I don't know how dirty it gets without them. However, driving through the mud and slush this witner, I deffinitely can't say the sides of the car don't get dirty. Possibly the splashback dirt reaches lower than it would without the mudflaps. Another concern for me is the ground clearance of the mudflaps. They're made from a hard plastic. I've grounded them a few times in potholes:( It's a good thing they seem pretty resilient, because not one has cracked from such treatment. That's my 2 cents.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I agree with the last statement. They are pretty durable, but i have had clearance issues with them going up driveways and a curb once. Most recently at a self-serve automated car wash on the floor sensor while leaving. No noticable damage best i can tell.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
LadybugEwa said:
Another concern for me is the ground clearance of the mudflaps. They're made from a hard plastic. I've grounded them a few times in potholes:( It's a good thing they seem pretty resilient, because not one has cracked from such treatment. That's my 2 cents.
Interesting, I haven't considered ground clearence issues with the mud flaps. Like Izzie, I have been considering putting some on my NB as soon as they become available for '06 models. I may need to reconsider given the poor street conditions around here. Thanks for the info LadybugEwa :bigthumb:

-dave

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I have them at all 4 corners. There are roads around Austin that are so bad I scrape all the time.

OTOH, since I installed them I have no more rock chips, tar and mud on the lower portion of the car.

I like them, and will leave them on. However, I will never paint them, because due to clearance issues, the paint will be chipping off in no time.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
I got the flaps. :p

They are ok. Kinda hard to install if you are impatient like me (my fiance installed them since I was too impatient to try). I would like to take them off but, they are drilled into my Zoomer so, I dont know if I can remove them.

I dont know if they have kept Zoomer 'clear' of rock chips.

During the snowy season they tend to collect a lot of ice and crap. So, I have to clean mine off before driving since the snowy ice stuff scrapes at my tires. I know it doesnt hurt my tires or anything ... just annoying.

My flaps scrap. I ran into a curb pulling over for an ambulance and scraped my right front one to heck (my wheel too - dang it). But, you cant really tell unless you KNOW it is there and get up close (the wheel on the other hand - :()

I don't know what my point is ... I wouldnt get painted ones... too much scrapping. :p

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
thought they were a PITA to install, but they look great. here was my experience with them:

http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthre...ghlight=splash

good luck! i tend to scrape mine a lot on stuff. :rolleyes:

i wouldn't get them painted either. i do like having them though. they make the car look sharp, i think!

·
Beetle driver since '73
60 Posts
My hubby put mud flaps on my NBC, left them black.

I really like the look and they do help keep the car cleaner.

He said they were very easy to install.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I actually found them very easy to install.

However, you do need to remove the wheel to do it, otherwise there just is not enough room in the wheel well to work.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Oyveychris said:
I have 'em too. They work great, and have got to be good for like 3 extra horsepower :D
:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Just ordered a set from vwgenuineparts.com. They were less $$ than the others. I won't paint them as I think the black will look good against yellow.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
One of my very first mods was to install a set of mudflaps. They did scrape occasionally on curbs, speedbumps etc but they did to a great job of protecting the paint.

Unfortunatly when I lowered my car nearly 2 inches they rubbed on almost anything... even simply going around a corner. So I had to remove them... Oh well :(

·
Beetle driver since '73
60 Posts
dgoldbe2 said:
However, you do need to remove the wheel to do it, otherwise there just is not enough room in the wheel well to work.
With the OEM flaps, you don't need to remove the wheels, there was plenty of room to install.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts