NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member since 2000
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys/gals I can't help it but I LOVE Mini Coopers. As bad as this sounds I sometimes have the urge to trade in my NB which I just paid off and get one.:confused: I do love my NB but at the same time I want a Mini too!. The only thing that sucks is that I really don't want another car payment!:mad: Plus I think it would kinda be crazy to trade in a car that I just paid off. Some people would think that I am nuts to even think about another car! Have any of you had urges like that??:confused:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I have urges like that all the time and I have only had my NB for almost a year now so she is no where near being paid off, which is worse...but I would only trade her in for another NB or NBC :p

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

I have had my New Beetle for about 6 months, I have had a lot of cars over the years, but I have finally found a car that I am very happy with. Every time I drive my bug it is always a fun drive, and puts a smile on my face. So as long as I can have a new beetle I will have one.

:) Good luck in what you decide.

John K.

·
Member since 2000
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I am at work and a client of ours came in and she just so happened to have a new Mini Cooper (blue color). She let me see the inside and sit in it and it was really cool! They are very small though:eek: She said she paid 22k for it. Still not sure what I want to do:confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Our friend Spdbmp2001 (sp) has a New Beetle ~and~ his MINI.

Larry, where are you? ;)

·
Member since 2000
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what! I am being stupid! I shouldn't even be thinking about another car esp.having more car payments! No Thanks!! Even though I love Mini's I can't afford another car (plus my car insurance would go up also!):eek: No Thanks....reality set in:p Plus I don't think I could imagine life without my green monster!...............and did I forget to mention NO CAR PAYMENTS!! :D

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
My brother had an '04 MINI Cooper (He wanted the Cooper S but isn't too skilled at driving a manual) for probably a year and a half or so. He just traded it this past summer after dropping like 5k into aftermarket parts, and now he's driving a HEMI Dodge extended cab pickup??!! Talk about night and day.

Anyway, he loved his MINI, and he never had any trouble with it as far as I know. He bought it brand new from Peabody, Massachusetts (there are no MINI dealers in Maine), and just started modding it out over the winter time.

I miss his MINI, but I would keep your Beetle. Besides my brother, alot of the MINI drivers I've seen around have seemed like stuck up snobs. Stick with the Beetle, you'll be much happier without a car payment, and you can do whatever you like to it without having to worry about the dealership complaining....

It sucks because he had done some really neat work to it including (but not limited to) a custom tilt hood, Cooper S bumpers, Cooper S exhaust, custom stereo, and a bunch of other mods I can't remember. Here's some pics of my Bro's old ride.

Feel free to check out his old site for it at:
Dave's MINI

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
ive driving a buddy of mine's cooper s...fun car and all but i couldn't get into something that is less than half the size of me(im 6'4 the car is tiny)

fun cars but not for daily driving at all IMO

·
Member since 2000
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
N2VDUBZ: that is a really cool looking Mini!:cool: Thanks for sharing the pics!

Yeah the Mini's are really small. Other than that I have only heard good things about them. I guess owning a Mini will only be a dream for me because I don't want anymore car payments for a very long time. :)

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
Sure thing CyberGrnBug01, I like showing off my brothers old ride. If it makes anyone feel any better, my brother is 6'3" and he always had people commenting on how he fit into such a small car. He said he never had any problems with it at all, but he wanted a truck so he decided to trade.

I personally miss his MINI, but it was his decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I loved my NBs and NBC, and I LOVE my MINI :)

-Steve

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
well dont complain about a MINI being mini. I mean...otherwise it would be called an AVERAGE...and thats not very catchy.

I want one, but not until my insurance rates go down.

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
When my wife and I begun looking into a small convertible (and decided to trade in the old beetle) the choices were 06 NB or 06 Mini. We tried them both and really the Mini rocks. In many ways is much better than the NB ( don't kill me :scared: ). Just to list some of the things we really liked about the mini:

1] the convertible roof dubs as sunroof (really cool).
2] the auto transmission does not use a torque converter but a clutch.
3] it has better mileage (not a little thing when gas is at $3 a gallon). To the ones who will make me note that it requires premium gas: i made the math, it is still cheaper than the NB.
4] it has a bigger trunk (!!!!) not by much but it makes a difference.

She [wife] would add that "it is a BMW", and it is recommended by consumers report (they still do not recommend the beetle).

The beetle:

1] feels safer (the mini does not have the same roll-over protections the NBC has).
2] is a little bigger (more visible by other drivers).

So it seems a win situation for the mini ... true, except for one thing I did not "feel" right in the car. So since I would drive it 90% of the time we went for the car I felt most comfortable in :) :) (but she still look at the other minis :):):))
BTW, a little extra factor is that our son is gaga for the NBC he liked the mini but he LOVES the beetle :) :)

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
Porkchop said:
Hrm.. how does that work? A torque converter should last a lot longer than a clutch..
It is electronically controlled, I guess in the same way the auto transmission is in the NB. I forgot to add to my list that the auto transmission in the cooper is a continuously variable transmission, with an override to make you "feel" like a gear transmission when you use their "tiptronic" control (they call it steptronic), This means they really need the clutch only when going to reverse and when stopping. I think that the combination of a continuously variable transmission and electronically controlled clutch (and to some extend smaller engine) is what contributes to the better mileage. About lasting .. I would not worry, a clutch will last a long long time, a clutch wich is not under my left foot control but under the car microcontroller wil last even longer :) :) :) :) :) :) One that is used so rarely will last longer than all our torque converters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts