NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't specific to the 1.8T but since my car has the 1.8T and I know alot of knowledgeable VW gearheads come here, I thought my chances at success were best here - the hard rubber / plastic bushing at the end of the shifter linkage rod broke and the clip came off. I want to reinforce it with a stronger fabricated part, but for the time being I need to find an original OEM type bushing. In the pic you can see the rod with the ball in the middle and the spot on theend where the clip goes. The bushing fits over that and the clip goes on the end. Not the best design but it held for 10 years so I shouldn't complain I suppose.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the part number?

Thanks,
Chef

Attachments

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like i'm on my own here - I called two VW dealerships and even emailed them photos and they can't give me a part number or order the grommet / bushing I need. I will see if I can buy a nylon washer at Lowe's and fab one unless I can find a junker with intact shifter linkage around the Bham area.

Wish me luck!

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom part where it attaches to the rod that actuates the cable. The cable assembly works fine. Both VW dealerships keep telling me I just need to replace the retaining clip at the end, which won't work because the rod will slide right over it.

If you look at this exploded view you will see #38 - that's the retaining clip that holds the arm in place - I need the bushing that sits inside of that arm, and there is no part number listed for it, and the VW parts people tell me that the bushing is not a part of the rod assembly.

https://www.partslink24.com/pl24-pa...session=0000B2Kk3YZY4v8tHR1XDusBKlX:13nrdvn6c

·
Registered
209 Posts
Unfortunately that link does not work for me? Looks like you have to have a paid membership?
When I click on the link it comes up "Demo" with no picture. Clicking on any link dose not change the page.

Does this look like what you are looking for?

photo.jpg

Still wondering if its not part of the cable or cable end and not a separate piece.
Any possibility you could make a replacement out of a piece of nylon? wouldn't be to hard if you know someone that has a lathe / machine shop.

K

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's it - I imagine it comes prefabbed inside the rod maybe? The orange-ish looking plastic/rubber insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts