NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n girls, I'm selling a 1999 Blue Beetle GLS with the 1.8L for $4200. Price is negotiable. It's clean, and original owner. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the basic stuff, so here's some specs

Up for sale is a Blue 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS. The car has under 62K miles. Original owner, no rolling back the odometer or anything. We recently checked the car out at a mechanic on 11/8/11 and found no problems. The engine, transmission, and other parts are in great condition, and its all stock from the day we bought it. The mechanic did find a bad battery, so we just replaced it a few days ago on 11/9/11.

Features:
- 1.8 L GLS
- CLEAN TITLE: pink slip on hand
- Up to date paperwork
- Completely Stock
- Runs completely fine, no weird creaking
- No Accidents
- Original Car Manual Included(for you tuners out there)
- Power Windows
- Air Conditioning
- Front/Rear Defroster
- Stock Radio Player
- AM/FM Radio
- 6CD changer
- Cassette Player
- ABS Breaks
- New Tires
- Cruise Control
- Pretty Low Mileage
- Always Garaged
- Non-smoker
- It's got the swivel emblem on the back on the earlier models, which I always liked

The car does have some wear and tear though, typical for a car this age. Some things I think I should point out are:

- The car’s check engine light is on. We’ve checked this car for the source of the problem countless times in the past few years, and the VW dealership guys always said that they couldn’t find a problem and told us it was an electrical problem. I understand if you’re concerned, but the car has never given us any trouble.
- The front license plate isn’t there
- There are three car keys. they are in decent condition

Definitely a cool gift, either to yourself or for a loved one. Christmas IS around the corner after all :D

Priced at 4,200 OBO. Definitely willing to negotiate. Cash or money order. Call at (626)-290-6834. Ask for Brendan. Or email me at [email protected]. Or gimme a message on the forums. I'm trying to sell it before next week, so just drop me a heads up even if you're remotely interested. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nice average condition in appearance, save the major stain on the passenger's seat. Actually exceptional paint work indicative of being garaged and taken care of. Nice desireable color, not so desireable cloth interior and 4 spd auto. Priced in line or well below book depending...

All in all nicely priced! And just the other day, I read a post where a Orger in Chicago couldn't find a nice NB in this price range, BS, here it is! Said everything was trashed or a rust bucket!

Everything operate as it should? Service records of all scheduled services, and oil changes every 5k miles with synthetic oil, and the use of premium fuel?

You've joined here as a newbie for the sole purpose of having another venue through which to market your car, which is fine, but you should know -

People around here are very NB savvy. You make no mentionof, and the car is way past due for a new timing belt, replacement of the plastic impeller water pump,the serpentine belt, the tensioners for both and the misc sundries that go along with this service. At a Dealer, this is about a $900-$1200 ticket (one of the reasons people decide to sell - when they find out this service is due and what it costs). No one on here would even consider driving the car across town, let alone across state or country, without this being done. If the timing belt goes (and while it is just coming up on the mileage, it is way past due on the time), the engine is trashed, immediately, and it could happen now at any moment. If this service has been performed, and you can document it, you should make this fact known. People here will demand proof or consider it having not been done regardless of what you say.

Also, if their is a CEL, there is a problem, both literally and figuratively. While it may have not been a problem for you over the years, it would be impossible to know if it is the result of an old existing minor problem or a significant issue that just came about yesterday, without pulling the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) and seeing what they are. Most CELs are electrical problems in nature, and while it may have not been a concern yesterday, it may be indicative of something that is in the process of becoming major tomorrow. The car will also not pass inspection in many states, I'm surprised it does in CA.

And don't be surprised if the same things come to light with the general buying public. People are getting pretty savvy. Some come here, as you have, as newbies asking nothing more than our learned opinion on a New Beetle they are considering buying.

That being said, your Bug's up for grabs on here! Good luck!

It was late, I was a little bored, so ...
The closest thing found on eBay, 2 runs at it, no sale, GLX (leather, heated seats, moonroof, stick $5500, Nice! One owner -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/One-Owner-well-maintained-full-records-low-annual-mileage-/280766133288?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415ef73428
Compare to the recent sale of Evanrude's "Sting", ('02 DYCC, 67k miles) and you KNOW what condition that was in and how it was babied! http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-classifieds/52227-fs-2002-1-8t-double-yellow-color-concept-named-sting.html#post758711
Edmunds, KBB, NADA below, in that order

(What is it about Californians blanking out their plates? They don't drive around that way, and the BMV records aren't openly accesible on line...)

MORAV

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I echo a lot of what MORAV said. My questions were going to be if the timing belt has been replaced (it may be under mileage, but there are now 12, almost 13 years on a rubber belt on a 1.8T engine so it is wayyy overdue if its original).

Also, what codes are shown with the CEL? If its there, there is a reason.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
MORAV, Big difference between SoCal garaged and Chicago, garaged or not. :rolleyes: :D
Yeah, I get that! Lived up north in the snow belt, and lived in Socal. ;) Just commenting about the poster who had said nice NBs didn't exist in this price range. They do, as evidenced here. That person just needed to expand their horizon.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I do agree with MORAV; I always ask if the TB/WP have been done; however I do not mind if the TB/WP have yet to be done, as that makes negotiating fair and easy. I can do a TB/WP change when I get it home. I also run a CarFax on NB I get interested in.

The interior, no problem. Unfortunately this NB is not within my 800 mile driving zone, so I will have to pass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback! Really, just learning about this stuff is pretty informative.

So I checked the records (which I don't have at this very moment) and found out I haven't changed the timing belt or water pump. It turns out the dealership recommended it the last time we checked at 50K miles, but they told us it wasn't urgent so we decided not too. I'm a little confused why the dealerships didn't push it a little harder, but yeah. Well, if you guys want to do it yourselves, I can push the price lower to help cover the expenses.

New Price $3900 (again willing to negotiate), cause I really want to sell the car to someone who's more of an enthusiast than..well carmax (*shakes fist). Anyways thanks again to everyone on this forum for all the feedback,

Oh PS the CEL seems to be from a faulty oxygen sensor? :confused: Again I don't have the exact part with me, but it was something along that line. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to try and find an answer for you.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm sure anyone interested would want to know the code that was tripped. If it's an upstream 0² sensor gone bad, this can lead to CAT failure, as the wrong information is adjusted for by the engine management system. It's (the 0²sensor) operating properly is essential for any State requiring emission standards compliance via inspection. Many states will simply fail a car for illumination of a CEL or MIL.

Again, good luck with your sale.

M.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, I get that! Lived up north in the snow belt, and lived in Socal. ;) Just commenting about the poster who had said nice NBs didn't exist in this price range. They do, as evidenced here. That person just needed to expand their horizon.
If my budget for a car was $4000, how does this fit into that price range? It looks like you have failed to take into consideration the $1000(minimum) that it would cost to have the car shipped from California to Illinois, not to mention another $1000 or so to have the water pump and timing belt replaced. Nice used Beetles are readily available for $6000 here in the Chicagoland area, but that wasn't my budget. Since I couldn't find a suitable Beetle, I bought a Ford Ranger that I'm very happy with(and by the way gets excellent gas mileage, which is an important factor to me with any vehicle that I purchase). The average car buyer looks to buy a vehicle in the general area where they live, which is what I did. Yet you have the audacity to come on here and slam me because I'm not willing to look into vehicles that are located 2000 miles away in California?:dunno:

*by the way, HumanVerification, no offense meant to you...your car is very nice and with the low miles I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding the right buyer for it

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yet you have the audacity to come on here and slam me because I'm not willing to look into vehicles that are located 2000 miles away in California?:dunno:
Slam you... I don't think so :confused:. I don't think I even mentioned a User ID :rolleyes:, but no matter. The point was, there are not a lot of nice, low mileage NBs around, but there are some, this one looks to be one of them, and that sometimes you have to go outside your city or state to secure them.

And there are ppl all around the Org who have bought, and have had cars shipped, or gone to get them. Ppl do it all the time. I have bought and brought cars to Houston from: LA, Phoenix, Alabama; DC, Miami and even Chicago. The value of doing so all relative to the price, condition, and specific wants or needs

Sorry to have ruined your day.

M.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
So why can't we all just get along? :confused:

Price range in my area is $2,000 to $4,200, the high end being dealer pricing. With it needing a TB/WP, you are looking at $3,000 or less. It needing an O2 sensor is moot, as it is so easy to replace them and it is around $80.

IMHO the cost associated in acquiring a long distance car is the responsibility of the buyer; that is why I limit myself to 800 miles. Drive up on Saturday and drive back on Sunday.

·
Registered
294 Posts
With my budget to buy a car being $4000, it was not economically feasible to have a car shipped in from out of state. I did consider the idea of possibly taking a day-trip to maybe Milwaukee or St. Louis to look at cars in those areas, but the prospect of driving all that distance and then being disappointed in the condition of the car when I got there soured me on that idea.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was never implying that you should have, only that it is an option for anyone with their mind set on having a Bug... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts