NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend's brother plastidiped his wheels. Great color, durable, washable, and he can change colors in less than 2 hours. I've taken a hard look at their website and a number of youtube vids. I'm thinking about stripping my headliner down to the shell and coating it. This may be a good option for portions of the door panel. Any thoughts? Here's a link to the site www.dipyourcar.com

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i plasti-dipped my buddies front/rear bumper, grill, step side running boards and rimz on his Dodge Truck. it looked really nice and had the outcome that we expected. We didnt sand anything because he wanted to go back to origianal at some point down the road. about 3 months ago we peeled all of it off with no prob. it was like opening a slim jim and rolling the wrapper down. as far as a headlined goes.... it would be good because of the flexing of it when you put it back in. i just think the primer coat should be reputable.

hope this helps.

-jd

·
Registered
444 Posts
jd, I am planning to plast-dip my wheels and front and back bumpers. My question is regarding the wheels. They aren't in the best shape, having road rash from the PO. I have done some work on them, filling and sanding and priming. How perfect does the surface need to be? I don't know if your friends wheels were new or old and scraped like mine. I would like to be sure that when I plasti-dip them, that all the unevenness does not show when I am done. How well does the Plasti-dip cover this mess?
:confused:

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Hey, I am looking at their website and forums right; seems like this would be a nice way to change colors of something, without the destructive nature of real prep, painting of a car part. I would love to see pics of people; doing this on their VW! I have a peeling front hood and rear deck lid that were damaged by my VW dealer; when they were "fixing" my car and replacing the vw emblems. I am low on money these days; so, real painting is not in the cards. Maybe this process; could be a viable option, this would also give me a opportunity to do some variation in color... over stock! :cool: I'm intrigued! My rims are a good candidate too; I have scuffs and road rash at this stage in their life, would be a nice non-destructive refresh option! I really like the idea; if you don't like the results, just peel it off! Lets see some pics of this on your cars! :)

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
jd, I am planning to plast-dip my wheels and front and back bumpers. My question is regarding the wheels. They aren't in the best shape, having road rash from the PO. I have done some work on them, filling and sanding and priming. How perfect does the surface need to be? I don't know if your friends wheels were new or old and scraped like mine. I would like to be sure that when I plasti-dip them, that all the unevenness does not show when I am done. How well does the Plasti-dip cover this mess?
:confused:
his were perfect shape and chrome so it went on no prob. im sure its like any other painted surface, if it had deep gouges you will need to fill them or apply lots of materials to make it smooth. i havent had experience with deep gouges or imperfections. i dont have anything to try it out on.... maybe i can get a 2x4 and put some gouges in it and apply some to it and see how it works.

ill try it out tonight and post some pics.

-jd

·
Registered
444 Posts
Boy, that roof looks really nice. My biggest question about the plasti dip is mostly about the longevity. I have used it on a couple of small things, rear emblem, etc. What I notice is that with a little time, the plasti-dip gets abraded by rubbing on something or handling or even just washing when I wash the car. Considering how much dirt and such that the wheels are subjected to, I'm not sure that it is a good remedy to their beat-up condition. Having said that, I am really intrigued by the idea of trying it out. I would like to use the gun metal color followed by the metalizer. I will probably just end up giving it a try. Why not? :rolleyes:

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
all of the 4x4 guys use it on their trucks. thats what gave me the bright idea to Rhino-Line my entire last car. I just sold it actually. I did the entire car and it came out of a spray can.

1994 Honda Del Sol

i was going to plasti dip the entire car but went a different direction.

im still undecided if im going to plasti-dip my interior pieces or paint them reflex silver. i guess i could do the dip and when im ready to to the paint just peel it off.

-jd

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plastidip

How did you get those jig-saw pieces into the plasti-dip ? Stencil ? That opens up a whole new line of thought. Boy, the possibilities....
The solid "plastic" bumper/grill on my wife's camry is peeling. I want to plasti-dip it using the carbon fiber kit. It's a LOT cheaper than a bumper paint job. I saw an interesting You Tube vid of using clear then top gloss p-dip over restored headlights.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
or they are vinyl.

-jd

·
low and slow 2.o
3 Posts
Plasti Dip is awesome I've Plasti Dip one of my vw all the way around now with my beautiful I have done my roof the front grill the back area as well. I have even did the inside door panel what is not a good idea. I've done a set of my rims white then spray painted the color I wanted on top of the white California can't get colored

1 - 17 of 17 Posts