NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
First off - yes I am new (@#$%&) OK now that everybody got that out of there system....

I named myself 4thBug because well we now own our 4th Bug. We had a 72, then a 74. Now we have an 01 Manual 2.0 and a 2000 Auto (arrggg) 2.0 liter.

I will try to make this as short as possible. The 2000 is actually the kid's. Last March the previous owner went through the dreaded New Beetle Auto transmission He_l! It has 106K and is a regular AOD not the DSG. They ended up spending over 6K at Aamco. After 4 trannys they ended up rebuilding the original and the tranny itself has worked fine ever since. But that is not the problem. (everything is stock - no mods)

The problem is the new torque converter has been getting eaten up by 3 starters. Apparently the starter/flywheel have been grinding each other since March. It makes the metal on metal sound at every start. Yes you will say "just take it back to Aamco. No it is not that easy. It actually is there right now. I have an excellent picture of the flywheel as seen from the starter hole after I removed the starter but can't figure out how to upload it?
The current starter is a reman from Carquest. But it doesn't matter because any starter grinds(Orielly, Autozone, Napa etc...)? Aamco can't figure out why either. Parts houses and dealers say there is only 1 Bosch starter that fits. The torque converter was new back in Mar. From the Bently service manual you are supposed to use the correct code Converter that matches the code on the top of the tranny to insure it matches your tranny/engine combo.
Current theories are wrong converter (slightly larger diameter), All wrong starters? Looking at the picture I can see that the starter may not be making it to the brass bushing on the other side of the case because there is no evidence of contact on the boss around the bushing or the bushing itself. Flywheel wear stops about 3/4 of the way across the tooth? Also and this cannot be the starters fault; the welds for the stator vanes on the converter(that you see as bumps on the outside) are worn down and rough to the touch. Engine/converter/ and tranny work fine with no noise? I told Aamco that if I took the tranny out to replace the converter I would experiment with different starters and a battery to study starter/flywheel interaction and find out what is going on.

Has anybody come across this? Are there different "flavors" of converters that ran through say 99 - 2005 that are slightly different from each other. Is there a special starter that nobody knows about? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hmm, it sounds to me that AAMCO doesn't know how to properly install a transmission to make it line up with the starter.
I guess they want you to keep coming back for more :(

I never heard of these issues before and there are Numerous people that had their 01M Auto transmission worked on.

And this wasn't an issue until AAMCO replaced the transmission so it stands to reason that the fault lies with them. Perhaps time to let someone else look at it instead of letting them repeat their mistake over and over.

If you send me your picture I will gladly post it here on this thread. I will PM you my E-Mail address.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
One question. You do realize that there are different starters for the different transmissions, right?

The starters for the manual transmission have 10 teeth on the starter gear and the starters for the Automatic O1M transmission have only 9 teeth. If you used the wrong starter than I can see how the starter isn't meshing up with the ring gear.

Count your teeth on your starter motor and let us know how many you have.

Here is a link to ECS tunings site where they sell OEM BOSCH remanufactured starters for your car.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Starter > ES#2081 Remanufactured Starter Motor - SR0424KT

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Here is a less expensive place for Starter motors.
Not BOSCH but they are NEW and should fit your car.

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE 2000 - Starters ? Car Starters | New Starter | Truck Starter | Starter Motor | Automotive Starter | Starter for Car | Replacement Starters at Prime Choice Auto Parts | S1430

There are 4 different starters for that year.

One for the Diesel 1.9 TDI Manual
One for the Diesel 1.9 TDI Automatic

One for the 1.8 and 2.0 with Manual Transmission
One for the 1.8 and 2.0 with Automatic Transmission

So you see there are 4 different types of starters out there and you have to be sure that you do have to correct one or you will be chewing up ring gears all day long.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Looks like Advance Auto does carry BOSCH starters:

Buy Bosch Professional Preferred Remanufactured Starters SR0424X at Advance Auto Parts

The BOSCH part number you need is SR0424KT (That is the Manufacturers Part Number per ECS Tuning)
Advance shows Part Number SR0424X. You need to make sure with them that this would be the same as the above part.
Actually, I just double checked and the SR0424X is the same as the SR0424KT and will fit your vehicle. The SR0425X is for manual transmission and comes with 10 teeth
and the SR0424X is for Automatic transmissions and comes with the correct 9 teeth.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starter choices

Thanks everybody for the interest. Yes I know about the 10/9tooth. When I took the starter out that was one of the things I was looking for (and hoping it was that easy) but alas it has 9 teeth. Another idea is circulating about this. Do I even have the right case? Why would a starter bendix shaft be expected to shoot across and land in the bushing? I have never seen that before? The Bently manual has very little about transmissions? A senior member is uploading the picture for me.

Oh and on a side note; apparently I chose right when I ordered a hybrid alloy/steel oil pan for the Manual car from ECS tuning. That was because somebody tightened the oil drain bolt to much and caused a permanent oil leak. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts