VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
hope so you doing amazing!!!
I am currently student in motive power technician. after some search I found one 99beetle glx with aph motor in blown condition. I just taken out whole engine and disasamble I found the head smashed badly with brolen exhaust valves and third piston is big center hole.i didnt know where to start after this much confusion of codes of motor but I read many swap forum its really good explanation. so requesting for whole process if possbile for rebuilt motor
few question in running in my mind ?

1)the codes is for engine head or I can use other code motor head for my this rebuilt ?
2) which suitable engine codes can fits for aph motor?

where to start in budget rebuilt?

Attachments

· Registered
19,259 Posts
Well, I guess, it depends on what route you want to go; do you want to rebuild it or get a used or rebuilt motor to swap in? Are you using this, as a learning experience or just want to get the car back on the road? Got a budget for the motor repairs (?); are you going to keep the car, use as a daily driver, a second car or sell it, etc. ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess, it depends on what route you want to go; do you want to rebuild it or get a used or rebuilt motor to swap in? Are you using this, as a learning experience or just want to get the car back on the road? Got a budget fro repair repairs (?); are you going to keep the car, use as a daily driver or sell it, etc. ?
yes, I want to keep the car for long term. I didnt find yet ..other code motor in good codition so right now planning to rebuilt this one but I got one parts engine with awd code so I make one good motor from it ..and its first rebuilt so I keep it simple ..not much modification and make it running .

· Registered
19,259 Posts
If you need a rebuilt head; i have used these guys with good results.

www.headsonly.com

If you want it done right and last a long time; a diy quality rebuild is probably a good idea, as a used motor will be high mileage after 20+ years and you will learn allot as well.

For quality oem parts, free shipping, lifetime warranty and good prices on things like a elring engine gasket set, check out fcpeuro.com.

With the engine out, closely inspect the turbocharger for wear, cracks in the castings and you might ship it out for a rebuild.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need a rebuilt head; i have used these guys with good results.

www.headsonly.com

If you want it done right and last a long time; a diy quality rebuild is probably a good idea, as a used motor will be high mileage after 20+ years and you will learn allot as well.

For quality oem parts, free shipping, lifetime warranty and good prices on things like a elring engine gasket set, check out fcpeuro.com.

With the engine out, closely inspect the turbocharger for wear, cracks in the castings and you might ship it out for a rebuild.
Thank you for information but if I use AWD code engine which pulling out from 99-00 golf then what needs to be change after putting this engine in beetle ?

· Registered
19,259 Posts
If the engine is the same year/era and the vw mark iv platform, things are typically similar or the same (the long block itself). The things that tend to be different are the accessories and external parts, like emissions controls, placement of things, brackets, external parts, etc.

Major differences, take place post 2000; head port size (large/small), addition of cam chain adjuster with vvt, wide band 02 sensor, internal differences with 150/180 hp engine codes, cast/forged cranks, etc, etc.

You can research differences with the 1.8T engine codes; on various sites here:

Junk yards and places like LKQ; are notorious, for selling the incorrect engines, so i would visually inspect the engine and confirm the engine code, before purchasing. If possible, a compression check; would be nice, confirm the timing belt hasn’t failed and have bent valves.

I don’t know where you are in Canada but if you need used parts; we have heard good things about this place, which specializes in used vw parts.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the engine is the same year/era and the vw mark iv platform, things are typically similar or the same (the long block itself). The things that tend to be different are the accessories and external parts, like emissions controls, placement of things, brackets, external parts, etc.

Major differences, take place post 2000; head port size (large/small), addition of cam chain adjuster with vvt, wide band 02 sensor, internal differences with 150/180 hp engine codes, cast/forged cranks, etc, etc.

You can research differences with the 1.8T engine codes; on various sites here:

Junk yards and places like LKQ; are notorious, for selling the incorrect engines, so i would visually inspect the engine and confirm the engine code, before purchasing. If possible, a compression check; would be nice, confirm the timing belt hasn’t failed and have bent valves.

I don’t know where you are in Canada but if you need used parts; we have heard good things about this place, which specializes in used vw parts.

Thank you
billymade
you are like ocean of knowledge
If I need further asist I will be here.

· Registered
26 Posts
hello
hope so you doing amazing!!!
I am currently student in motive power technician. after some search I found one 99beetle glx with aph motor in blown condition. I just taken out whole engine and disasamble I found the head smashed badly with brolen exhaust valves and third piston is big center hole.i didnt know where to start after this much confusion of codes of motor but I read many swap forum its really good explanation. so requesting for whole process if possbile for rebuilt motor
few question in running in my mind ?

1)the codes is for engine head or I can use other code motor head for my this rebuilt ?
2) which suitable engine codes can fits for aph motor?

where to start in budget rebuilt?
As a "Student in motive power" ... go buy a factory rebuild or used engine in a Junk Yard. This engine you are showing has issues I have never seen in my life ..... a hole in a cylinder ???
You will learn that there are some engines that aren't worth putting a dollar into repairing - and you have found your first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts