NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done someplace on here but I have spent days looking for it. So I hope you don't mind me doing it again.

I would like to put an awp ecu in my 2000 beetle glx. If someone could direct me to a "how to for dummies" that would be awesome.

Also if you have done it yourself and don't mind telling me the ins and outs that would be cool as all get out.

At the moment I have a awp ecu with the apr stage one chip in it. its out of a 03 gti golf.

Also Sorry for the newb question... but I have been reading off and on for days trying to avoid tossing this up.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I'm not sure if you can swap ECUs from different models of cars. I mean you could certainly try it and see what happens, but unless that tune had the immobilizer defeated I don't think you would be able to get the car to run. Even if you do it probably still won't run correctly, as the bug was given the short straw with the turbo engines (smaller intercooler, smaller turbo, and smaller injectors, turbo s excluded on the turbo and injectors), and if I remember correctly the APH engine was one of the lowest spec 1.8T engines VW ever made. I think most tuners are willing to push those to 180 hp max, unlike the AWP and AWV (I think the rarer Sport and color concept models were the only ones to get the AWV, unless the Turbo S also got that one, but I believe that they all got the AWP engines. Someone feel free to correct me on that) that could be pushed to 225 with a K04 turbo, audi TT injectors, and a tune. I also don't know if the cars gauges will read out correctly. I think the people who have done things like that had to also swap instrument clusters and some other parts, if not just get the ECU custom remapped to work with what they had.

Swapping ECUs is certainly easy enough, just push back on the top part of the center console, pop up the dash panels, like 5 T-20 screws under there to get the next panel off, an the ECU is down in there. Be careful with it, as the clips holding the ECU down are fragile. Also, the plugs that go into the ECU are in there really tight, and they don't just pull out, there is a lever action to the switch that helps get them in and out. Touch something metal to ground yourself before you touch the ECU to avoid ESD.

If you get the car running let us know. It would be interesting to see what happens, if anything. I also want to say I just provided the how to on how to swap the ECU. If any damage to the car occurs, I just told you how, not that you should. It's your decision to mess with your car like this. That being said, it would be one heck of a lot easier to just ship your ECU off to be tuned. I know it's got more of a sticker shock, but I feel like trying to get this one to work would be a nightmare.

Bottom line: the APH engine was not built to take what the AWP engine was, and therefore the two engines are tuned very differently, as they have different turbos and different injectors. There may even be a difference in how the cams are ground, but I'm not sure and don't quote me on that.

You're welcome to try the swap, but I personally don't think it will work, and if it does it could at best run like crap and at worst break something.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just bought the vag com but haven't received it yet and not sure what all you can do with it. I assume it is essential when doing engine swaps. I have considered doing a vr in my car and I would guess the ECU and harness from a golf/Jetta from the same general year of my bug would be the route to go. This is speculation on my part but looking into that swap may help in your question re the ECM switch

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
The vag com is a diagnostic tool that can tell you basically everything that's going on inside your engine, If you bought the one from VCDS. The cheaper ones can't do quite as much, but are still good to have.

I've also considered the VR swap. For that one you're basically going to need the entire front end of a VR jetta or passat (MK-IV only) plus the wiring harnes, ECU, and instrument cluster, and then adapt the car to take all of it. That, or go with a standalone ECU and hope you are good friends with your tuner, because you're gonna go see him a lot. There are a couple VR build threads on here, and I only know of a couple where they actually got the car working. It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If I do it the parts Jetta was the way I was going. The thing I'm not sure on is the instrument cluster swap or adapting mine. As I recall from one thread I believe someone used the vag to set the tach to 6 cyl ? But I'm not sure. Defiantly some research to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I bought my Bug it had an AWP setup. Originally it was suppose to have an APH and they installed an AWP.

You only need the AWP Head really because the bottom is the same. Having said that , you'll have to get an AWP engine harness because your APH won't have the VVTI connector that the AWP has , so it's pointless because without that you just have an APH again because you'll never have a working VVTI !! then you also have to have the ECU for it to control the VVTI . The ECU should plug right in since you now have a AWP engine harness. The trans you can leave alone.
In other words it's a pain in the ass, but it can be done! But I put mine back to an APH . :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
awp ecu on a aph swap

Since this is only 2 months old I will post here. I am currently having this done to my aph motor. The tuning shop says its actually a simple swap. The harness is 100$ and they use a resistor for the vvt. Since the reason for the swap is to get a bigger turbo put in the immo is tuned out anyway. This also allows for wide band o2's to be used. This also allows all the other ecu tuning options of a awp to be used minus the vvt. So you can now get a tune for bigger injectors, bigger turbo, more power then a k04 and what you gain is a better bottom end to handle it than a stock awp that had weaker components installed in it but better components installed on it.
The tuner said I should have about 340ish and totally stock looking bug.
It was a bit more than I wanted to pay but will see if it was worth it once its all done.

Ron

·
Registered
13,851 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts