VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got one quote 650 for stage one... yikes. I had a tune done on my cobalt and it ran 200'ish. Just curious why so much? I wanted to give my wife's beetle a lil more umph and I know this will do it. As all these new tunes on turbo cars bring new life to them

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
A lot of it depends on the motor, etc. I know on some of the newer ECUs, they were much trickier to get into and tune. The ECU has/had to be removed to tune it too vs. going through the OBDII port.

Unitronic is another company to look at. Looks like their 2.0T Stage 1 tune is $500. I have their Stage 2 tune on my 1.8T GTI and I love it.

Also, if you know a tune company you want to go with, wait until they run a special. Usually around holidays and the big VW shows they'll run something like $50 off specials for new tunes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lot of it depends on the motor, etc. I know on some of the newer ECUs, they were much trickier to get into and tune. The ECU has/had to be removed to tune it too vs. going through the OBDII port. .
This^, the cost is all in the ecu and time/cost to crack each one. Especially since now VW has different software versions even within the same production run. It's crazy. I flashed one guy's car who's car was the exact same as mine in terms of the configuration and ecu but yet our software versions were different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stage 1 cost is not cheap for an APR tune but when you look at the cost of going stage 2 its either 150 or free if you get their downpipe. Revo and Unitronic are two other alternatives I know of a couple people with the Revo and have seen good things about the Unitronic online just no local dealers around me so I haven't met someone with one. But when you look at those other 2 its 500 for stage 1 and another 500 for stage 2. so they really aren't much cheaper unless you go stage 2 from the start. If you are looking to save money I would go stage 2 from the start or a k04 kit which includes a tune. But shop around there are a couple other companies offering tunes that I found when I was shopping around but they are all going to run at least 500.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Anyone tried the Neuspeed option; looks like a interesting, plug/play solution. A little cheaper too @ $400 and if you ever, had to have some warranty work done... it would be easy to remove.

NEUSPEED Power Module
Part Number: 64.10.14
Price: $399.95

NEUSPEED Power Module

1 - 6 of 6 Posts