VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have done alot of reading but have not gotten the answers i need.
I have a 98 beetle and I have taken the engine out and replaced it after some new seals and wheel bearings and brakes and ball joints etc. so I am quite farmiliar with these cars.
Well I got a deal on a 99 auto the other day because it has issues.
I got most of the problems ironed out but have made no headway on the Flashing brake light along with the ABS light on.
I put brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, ABS sensors and dust shields on all four corners. I was hoping this would take care of the problem but it has not.
I have a scanner and cleared all the codes but the lights come right back on.

Scanner reads code:
terminal 30 supply voltage
sporadic - outside normal tolerance.

I checked the wires on the box on top of the battery and they have voltage and all the fuses.
I think the only thing left is the ABS module itself unless I am missing something.
Can the electronic part of the module be replaced without getting into the brake lines.
My 98 does not have ABS.
Any help is appreciated.
Also when the car sits for a couple days it misses and backfires and carries on for a mile or two and then it is fine.
No codes at all concerning this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
00668 - Ross-Tech Wiki

When it comes to misfires; the coil, tends to have cracks in the bottom and need replaced! Also, check your plugs, wires, coil and compression. Many here; spray water on the coil and see if it affects, how it runs; if it stumbles, idles rough... then most likely, it has a crack in it.

ABS issues;
you need a VW specific scanner to read about those... I was under the impression, that ALL the New Beetles had a ABS system, are you sure your 1998 doesn't? A quick google; seems to indicate, that base model 98's didn't have abs but 4 wheel ABS was "Optional"; I would assume, this would be related to the trim line of the car at the time it was made. Out of curiosity; what trim line was your car: GL, GLS, GLX etc; I've never worked on a 1998, so this is "new news" to me; I guess, anything is possible! I do know; that on certain years, there was a recall on the abs control module: you could look up your vin here or call your local dealer, see what the service history of the car was: http://www.vw.com/web/vw/recall/

You would need a scanner to read the ABS codes and to see what is going on; a cheap Vgate VS450 off of amazon.com would do the trick, for $50 or go factory scan tool level with the Ross Tech VCDS, you could do out put test and figure out, what is going on ($250-$350) Here is a good Youtube video; for ideas on the troubleshooting process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C4bFzSw_zg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5DG6pZdd4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am quite sure my 98 does not have ABS. You know where the module and valve body are mounted under the brake booster....it aint there. The 2 wires that go to the ABS that come from the junction box on top of the battery are not there either.
Also I have a VS450, that is what I used to san the car.
The only code that came up was 00668.

I have tried spraying water on the coil as it was running and it didn't seem to make a difference. It only does it when it sits for a couple days.
Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a wild guess, but maybe the missing and backfires after sitting for a few days has to do with the evaporative purge system? I read on some thread that the valve in the system sometimes doesn't work and causes problems. Wouldn't hurt to check it out to see if it's working properly.

Also, call me Mr. Vacuum Leak, but perhaps there is a leak somewhere in your vacuum system?
Wish you good luck in finding whatever is causing the issue.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A common problem with the A/C system is that the contacts on fuse S180 (leftmost of the 3 small fuses on the battery box) become intermittent. The ABS uses the other 2 small fuses. I would pull them out and inspect/clean the contacts in the battery box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts