NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, new beetle owner...my wife is actually, but I guess I'm the mechanic. Anyhow, bought a green 99 beetle and it has been a great car so far, but a few minor problems. Help me out if you can. Been researching but haven't found my answer.

Problem: 1. Cruise control doesn't work at all. 2. Outside temperature indicator doesn't work. It comes out when I start the car but never gives temp reading. Only shows degrees fahrenheit with three horizontal bars on startup then goes blank after about 15 seconds. 3. The right turn signal recently stopped working altogether. Lights are not blown because the E-flashers work. I'm starting to think all three of these are related somehow. Has anyone had similar problems with any of these? I have checked all of the fuses and they seem okay...HELP. BTW, NOOB. HOLD THE APPLAUSE.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Doesn't sound related at all to me.

Cruise, not sure of the problem there, it's an electric system though, could be a problem w/the stalk, could be a problem with the controller. Get it hooked up to an OBD2 scanner, or better yet a vag-com and find out what the computer thinks the problem is.

Temp indicator: is the temp probe plugged in? It should be at the edge of the grille, on the drivers side.

Right signal: hmm, the hazzard lights and the signals use the same repeater... usually if the blinkers don't work, the culprit is actually the hazzard switch. Maybe there's something up w/your steering wheel though that's causing the cruise and blinker to fail?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know where the temp sensor was, I'll check it out. Is there maybe a plug in/around the steering column that maybe came unplugged? The signal worked for about a month and just quit altogether, but the cruise hasn't work the entire time that we've had the car, which is two months now. I appreciate all your help guys. This site is cool. A lot of good information..

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Are you sure cruise control isn't working? There is no cruise control light on the cluster (some have it but no LED to light it up).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are your brake lights intermittent?

If so,the switch at the brake pedal is junk; it probably needs replacing. IT also handles the signals for the cruise to operate by using reistance from the brake lights being on.

The cruise is an electronic affair; the ECU holds the throttle, etc.

Congrats on the Bug; I'm got my second one in the driveway now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please where is the temp sensor ..i've got the same problem with my beetle...only when i start the engine shows tha temperature,,,when is off there is no an idication...You mean that the sensor is On the driver's side under the fender line?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brake lights work fine. Just the signal doesn't work. Bulb is good. I can't get the car in to the dealer either. None of my dealership service depts are open on weekends. I'm not taking a day off work to go get these (probably) simple things.

I'm not exactly sure where the temp sensor is either. Anyone have a picture of it???

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
This sounds like the ribbon cable has worn. A flat brown cable runs between the staring wheel and the steering column housing to connect to the multi-function stalk. Over time it can get kinked or worn. The result is that a blinker can stop working, or the cruse control stops. This is a real pita to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. One problem solved...kinda. On the turn signal. I got it to work again. If you'll recall the left turn signal always worked fine. But the right one was hit and miss for a while till it totally went out. This might sound crazy, but just for the heck of it, using the telescoping steering mechanism I moved it to a different position (closer in towards the dash) and it started working again. But, if you pull the steering wheel back to it's original position it stops working again. So, now we just leave the steering wheel as close to the dash as possible. It's uncomfortable, but hey the signal works now. My guess is that there is something that is pulling loose and it doesn't make good contact when it is extended farther out. What do you guys think? Remember...the left turn signal always worked fine....???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts