NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ruby Red New Beetle
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I bought a new 2001 beetle and it has no arm rest between the 2 front seats. I was wondering if I can buy one and install it myself? I love my car but it seems to be missing something.

Also, I have noticed that the sun visors are too small. First thing in the morning while driving into the sun they do nothing. They have only come in handy once and that was just luck. Are there bigger ones to buy or attachment to add? Either I am too small or the dome is too big. It is probably just a combination of the 2. It really only needs to be an inch wider. I know it wouldn't fit as nicely as it does but I really hate having the sun in my eyes while driving.

Any info would be very helpful.

MistressM or Mel
The new red beetle (jewel) owner. Oh, I named her Ruby! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Yeppers. No center armrest in your year NB. The visors are notoriously small.

You can by a new armrest, and get extenders for the visors. But, not sure from where. I am gonna move this, so the right traffic will see this thread.

Good luck!

PS: My NB is named Jewel! :clap:

·
Ruby Red New Beetle
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! For future reference, where is a good place to post questions sucj as these?

Mel

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Styling Modifications would be the place!

Hi! My 02 is a GL and lacks the arm rests. The dealer told me that so long as you have mount points (should be screw holes) on either side of the tranny hump under the plasic cover of the hump near the rear cupholder, you can buy the entire kit for something like $280 I think and install it yourself. that's, from my understanding, the whole shebang with screws but no "real" directions. It appears that you just replace the top transmission hump plastic housing with one that has cut away parts for the arm rest. The arm rest bolts in with two bolts and you plug a cable into the electical outlet that used to be near the handbrake that is not inside the storage compartment of the arm rest.

As for the visors... they're just a bad design. I don't recall my 73's being so useless :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
center armrest

i have a '03 turbo S armrest that i replaced with a black oem flat center console piece.
the armrest is black with gray leather on top. perfect condition along with the black housing (it resembles your flat center console piece with a pre-cut hole for the armrest.)

NOTE: do you have the dual front swivel-type cup holders or do you have the three front cup holder style center piece? (if you have the front swivel-type everything is perfect and there's no problem swapping out!)

you will need to get those mounting bolts that screw into the transmission hump to mount the armrest (all/most NB's come predrilled and i'm keeping mine) from the dealer but everything else is included for a reasonable price.
fyi: i don't believe the dealership was including that flat center console piece which cost another $$$

THIS IS A VERY EASY INSTALLATION. the trickest part is removing the ac outlets.

i actually dislike the armrest when i had my '00 turbo and actually removed it and then drove around with the "hole" and traded it for my current '03turboS and one of the very first mods was to purchase an oem black non-armrest center console after discovering that it was actually offered in '02models!!!

if your interested please post up and we can email one another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts