NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Only if it fails or if you add upgrades to the car that require a greater electrical output and you buy a larger alternator.

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Only if it fails. I thought my altenator was dead, but it was not that, it was the fuse block, above the battery. :eek:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'd recommend replacing the brushes around 100k-120k miles. That is about the point where they start to wear thin and cause alternator problems. Most alternator problems are just the brushes wearing out. On the Beetles you must replace the brushes and voltage regulator as an assembly. Costs around $60 and is fairly easy to do. The hardest part is getting the alternator off, which you will have to do anyway to replace it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it my batery or altenator

:( I have a 2000 new beetle that started to have problems with the battery staying charged. It will take a full charge and runs good but ounce I have turn it off overnight the battery is real low or dead. My question is should I replace the battery first or the altenator.

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
Sandyrose, start with the battery. They are wear out parts. Have the fuse block, that thing above the battery, inspected. Good luck! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts