NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My locking wheel nut adapter has broken! I have no idea what make it is, and seeing as my Bug used to live in America, I wondered if you guys knew! :)

Obviously the adapter's not supposed to look snapped, and the bolt not mangled, but you get the idea!

I've got 2 of my alloys 'stuck' on Robbie with these locking bolts, and I need to find who made the adapter so I can get another one!

*Lucy*

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
One way to get them off is to find a socket that is just a little bit smaller than the nut you are trying to remove and POUND it on with a hammer and then remove it.

We had to do that with my Mom's Passat Wagon. Then we installed new lugnuts ordered from www.tirerack.com

Tom aka Fowvay

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's one of the options - we were hoping to not have to resort to that tho.

I have a nice shiney set wating to go on, I just need these ones off - I'm paranoid that I'll get a puncture!

The local VW stealership removed that one cos we'd put on 3 of the 4 new alloys onto the Bug when the adapter snapped - so I had to drive 8 miles with 3 18in wheels and 1 16in with 3 low profile tyre! It was interesting! ;)

Thanks,

*Lucy*

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The first question should be, are these aftermarket or VW lug locks? If they are VW, the dealer can just order a new one. The choices are to use Tom's method of pounding on a socket, or grab the lug with a large pair of channel locks.

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been to the dealer - they'd never seen them. I have found out where they come from tho - it's a car accessories chain in the uk! So hopefully I can find a set now that I know where they come from :)

Thanks,

*Lucy*

·
Registered
867 Posts
Find a mechanic with a set of stud extraxtors. One the right size should be able to slip on your stripped bolt and grab it so it can be removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts