VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks now my cars battery has been dead every time i leave it sitting for over 8 hours. Finally after ruling out a bad battery i decided to unhook the battery cable every night so i am not constantly jumping off my car every morning. For the past few days since i have disconnected my battery and let the car power down i have been experiencing problems with the anti skid regulator. The light comes on and stays on after i turn on the switch. It also stays on 24-7 while driving the vehicle. I have cleared the codes many times and tried the asr button but still have the same issue. I do not know if this is related to the battery issue. Im thinking i have a relay hanging somewhere but im not positive. looking for some insight on these problems please. You guys have been great in the past. Thanks so much

P.S- this is for a 2001 new beetle 1.8T automatic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mass air flow sensor (signal to low)

This one code seems to be coming on every time i start the vehicle. When i clear the code and cycle the switch to the on position the asr light goes out after the initial sequence check. But as soon as i start the vehicle. 5-10 seconds later the asr kicks on and this code pops up. i do not see how a mass air flow sensor can cause a asr malfunction. But more then once have i been surprised by this vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 5 codes

Mass air flow sensor (signal to low)
Knock sensor 1
Engine Control Module Sporadic (check dtc memory)
Mil request signal active (check tcm for more)
solenoid valve 6

most of these codes are due to not having my throttle body redone as should everyone using a m01 transmission. The Asr always staying on is my main concern. Is takes power away from the car and acts like it wants to stall and im afraid it will one day.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Please post the code numbers. They will help diagnose this. I the ASR light stay one once due to the bad MAF code and as it turns out I popped a fuse. Check the fuses in the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mass air flow sensor: signal to low
P0102

that is all of the numbers on the vagcom.

squirrel could you please elaborate on what fuses i should check, because that's exactly my problem here. The asr comes on and throws that exact mass air flow code everytime. Ive been through the fuse schematics multiple times and have not seen any fuses for ASR or anything related. I guess i will just check them all. everyone's help is very appreciated. Hope those are the numbers you needed. if not just please let me know. Thanks so much

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for your reply and help billy. i will check the maf tomorrow and see what results i come up with. your pages are extremely helpful.

UPDATE for squirrel. I checked every fuse in the passenger compartment. they were all testing good. I replaced the 3 above the battery in the engine compartment. Still getting the ASR light though. Did you check any relays? are there any more fuses i might be missing. Any further help is always appreciated. Thanks so much to the both of you. hopefully something will get this solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i fixed the issue. Turns out that if your eps/asr light is on most the time it is either the mass air flow sensor or connector. I bought a new MAF sensor today and Wahlah everything is back to normal. I dont know why the MAF has anything to do with the asr but for anyone with this problem its mostly due to a MAF problem. Thanks to everyone for there help. You guys are great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts