NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 days ago the ASR/ESP light came on for my girlfriend as she was driving the car to and from school. Whenever she got back I drove the car and the characteristics are that of something feeling like its lose or broken within the steering/suspension. Has anyone ever had an issue with this light popping up? And if so, what was the problem associated with this light coming on. Any ideas will do! I need to get this problem taken care of ASAP since we depend heavily on this car right now. I will have codes scanned later today and I'll have them posted (if any).

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It could be like a plecibo effect, the whole situation with it feeling loose. But I took a turn into my work this morning (right hand turn) and my front driver wheel was squeeling like it was losing traction. I've had the dummy tire on for about 2 weeks now (rear driver position), I've heard that might shoot the light. But I've used the dummy tire before and no lights have come on.

I'm so stumped and bummed. I dont want any more problems. :(

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
The TRACTION CONTROL light will come on for a lot of reasons :)

Different make of tires on each wheel.
Low pressure in one or more of your tires.
Loosing TRACTION on a road.
Wheelspinning.

My TRACTION CONTROL light comes on at least 10-20 times a day. But i drive hard :lol: (I know the reasons why it's coming on too)

It can also be a warning that something is a miss. I would have a garage check out your suspension, wheels etc if this is the first time it has come on. Have you tried driving with the TRACTION CONTROL off :confused: Does it feel any different :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TRACTION CONTROL light will come on for a lot of reasons :)

Different make of tires on each wheel.
Low pressure in one or more of your tires.
Loosing TRACTION on a road.
Wheelspinning.

My TRACTION CONTROL light comes on at least 10-20 times a day. But i drive hard :lol: (I know the reasons why it's coming on too)

It can also be a warning that something is a miss. I would have a garage check out your suspension, wheels etc if this is the first time it has come on. Have you tried driving with the TRACTION CONTROL off :confused: Does it feel any different :confused:
I've never had a traction control problem. I drive it like a grandama does and only speed up whenever it is necessary. I've had two different pairs of tires on the car for well over 9 months before I put the dummy tire on. The dummy has been on there two weeks and this is the first sign of the light. I havent driven it with the traction control off, but I'll try it as soon as the work day is over.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the ASR/ESP light (yellow arrow) and yes, it is solidly lit. My girlfriend said it turned off on her while driving but this morning on my way to work it was solid and never turned off. (15min drive, about 10 miles)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
That is the ASR/ESP light (yellow arrow) and yes, it is solidly lit. My girlfriend said it turned off on her while driving but this morning on my way to work it was solid and never turned off. (15min drive, about 10 miles)
It maybe the sensor that has gone.
May also be a faulty switch.
I hope for your sake it's one of the 2 above.
Will need to get it to a diagnostic tool.
Could be any number of other reasons.
Need a code really.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It maybe the sensor that has gone.
May also be a faulty switch.
I hope for your sake it's one of the 2 above.
Will need to get it to a diagnostic tool.
Could be any number of other reasons.
Need a code really.
Will post a code later this evening!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Any chance the system has been manually switched off? This will turn the light on solid.

Blugg - never seen anything on this side of the pond about a light inside the speedo loop. According to the OM the same light flashes if the system activates.

M.

From the OM -

Attachments

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
My ESP system is flaky and when the light randomly activates itself the car loses engine momentum and a EBS type rumbling sound is heard from the front tires.

Basically, the car thinks you are losing traction when in truth you are just casually driving completely safe.

Until I can get the car to a shop (income tax time) I push the ESP button when I start the car to deactivate the system so not to have it freak out. It makes me jump because it scares the hell out of me to have the car go into panic mode when I'm just driving down a straight road at 35 mph.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chance the system has been manually switched off? This will turn the light on solid.

Blugg - never seen anything on this side of the pond about a light inside the speedo loop. According to the OM the same light flashes if the system activates.

M.

From the OM -
I had checked out those scans of yours to see what the light was in your Newbie Kit thread. :p I dont know how to turn the system off manually, maybe it happened on accident. How would one turn that off? I've turned off the EPC before by pushing the button, but that provides a different light on the cluster and I usually turn it right back on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My ESP system is flaky and when the light randomly activates itself the car loses engine momentum and a EBS type rumbling sound is heard from the front tires.

Basically, the car thinks you are losing traction when in truth you are just casually driving completely safe.

Until I can get the car to a shop (income tax time) I push the ESP button when I start the car to deactivate the system so not to have it freak out. It makes me jump because it scares the hell out of me to have the car go into panic mode when I'm just driving down a straight road at 35 mph.
As far as power goes, it seems to be there but I'm not being heavy footed either. I would give it gas to achieve boost and it runs like it always has. I'm taking it easy since the light is on, but I would like to have a concrete answer as to the problem. Would something mechanical cause this rather than something electrical? (sensors and such)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I had checked out those scans of yours to see what the light was in your Newbie Kit thread. :p I dont know how to turn the system off manually, maybe it happened on accident. How would one turn that off? I've turned off the EPC before by pushing the button, but that provides a different light on the cluster and I usually turn it right back on.
Unless the "S" has a cluster unique to the "S", if a different light is coming on with the manual switch, then perhaps you are not seeing the ASR/ESP light. I actually posted up out of the '03 NBC OM as I don't have the '03 HB scanned, and the displays are slightly different. What the lights indicate should however, be the same. I'm going to look in the '03 HB and see if something is different.

Here is the correct '03 HB display. Tell us which light is on, and which light comes on when you trun off the ASR/ESP sytem. -

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless the "S" has a cluster unique to the "S", if a different light is coming on with the manual switch, then perhaps you are not seeing the ASR/ESP light. I actually posted up out of the '03 NBC OM as I don't have the '03 HB scanned, and the displays are slightly different. What the lights indicate should however, be the same. I'm going to look in the '03 HB and see if something is different.

Here is the correct '03 HB display. Tell us which light is on, and which light comes on when you trun off the ASR/ESP sytem. -
You could be right about the unique-ness of the "S" Model having. The light that is lit up on my cluster currently is the Number 8. Whenever I push the EPC button (located right above the stick shift below the climate control) it illuminates another cluster light. I will post pictures after work today (around 430pm CT) showing the light and the other mysterious EPC light.

Thanks for your responses!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You could be right about the unique-ness of the "S" Model having. The light that is lit up on my cluster currently is the Number 8. Whenever I push the EPC button (located right above the stick shift below the climate control) it illuminates another cluster light. I will post pictures after work today (around 430pm CT) showing the light and the other mysterious EPC light.

Thanks for your responses!! :)
Do you have the original Owner's Manual?

Does anyone know if the TS had it's own OM? I have seen an OM for sale that was touted as for being for a "Sport", but the pic was not large enough to read the copy, to know whether it was Sport specific or had just come out of a Sport and wasn't going to spend the $40 or $50 something they wanted, to have a look. Guess I should have at least asked for more information.

I have not found anywhere in either the Bentley paper or DVD manuals anything specific to the TS's. I look forward to seeing your post this evening.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Blugg - never seen anything on this side of the pond about a light inside
the speedo loop. According to the OM the same light flashes if the system activates.

M.

Out driving tonight, i watched as the yellow arrow light flashed up over some Ice
on the road. Seems i was dreaming thinking there was also one on the middle of
the speedo. (Edited post and taken that photo away :eek: )

On my old Bug the TRACTION CONTROL light was always on permanently.
Never got to the bottom of why. Which is why i was so pleased that when i got my
TDi that the ESP button worked and i could turn it off :)

All i know is, when the light is on permanently it has a fault. When it flashes up,
it's the CPU telling the brakes to be applied independently on each wheel to correct
the handling.

In all honesty i hoped you'd answer this :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It could be like a plecibo effect, the whole situation with it feeling loose. But I took a turn into my work this morning (right hand turn) and my front driver wheel was squeeling like it was losing traction. I've had the dummy tire on for about 2 weeks now (rear driver position), I've heard that might shoot the light. But I've used the dummy tire before and no lights have come on.

I'm so stumped and bummed. I dont want any more problems. :(
By "Dummy" Tire oppose to the "Smartie" Tire do you mean the doughnut spare tire? You do realize that those are only to get you to a service station in order to get the regular tire fixed, right?! Also it is recommended not to exceed 50mph with one of those "Dummy" tires. Ask me how I know. I had a flat with my Audi TT in the middle of winter and 20 below zero. It was night time and dark and I was on I-65 on my way back from Chicago to Indianapolis. I did manage to change my tire to the "Doughnut tire" and I was frozen to the bone at that time. I tried to hurry up and get home and did go about 65mph only until that damn tire blew about 30 miles down the road. :mad: I ended up having to call my wife and woke her up at 1am in the morning and she brought me one of my summer tires/wheels in order for me to change tires a second time that cold night. So I learned my lesson and will never do that again. It is possible that since the tire sizes don't match that you are getting the ASR/ESP error. I did with my Audi TT when the other tire was on but it was a Quattro and they are a lot more sensitive then the regular front wheel drives.
Make sure you only have "Smart" tires of the same size on your car and perhaps your issue will go away. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Out driving tonight, i watched as the yellow arrow light flashed up over some Ice
on the road. Seems i was dreaming thinking there was also one on the middle of
the speedo. (Edited post and taken that photo away :eek: )
:roflmao:I wasn't even implying that you weren't correct. We know the European NBs have features that were not used in the NA market, such as the oil level indicator sensor and indicator light. But regardless, good catch on your error in memory!

In all honesty i hoped you'd answer this :)
:jawdrop: What makes you think I have a friggin clue! I don't profess to know about all things VW! :p
I just maybe have resources not available to many, and the experience and knowledge to apply those resources to the problem at hand. ;)

I shy away from posts where I lack the knowledge to even apply what I read. I also learn daily of things that I have either overlooked in my research or were omitted from my resources, and of which I have no personal experience.

M.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So um...

I found the problem with my ASR/ESP light coming on:

NEVER AGAIN will I let my girlfriend drive. Please explain to me HOW this happens? Besides hitting a pothole, curb, SOMETHING CONCRETE EXTREMELY HARD. Im fuming, omg.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts