VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me which brand and type of ATF can used in my 2000 beetle instead of the VW or Pentosin?

Thx
Bw

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Personally ATF is over hyped for the most part.

Almost any quality synthetic ATF is fine, I run and have run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in almost all of my cars, both American and Import.

There are very minor friction coefficients in some fluids, I prefer grabbier fluid anyway. Way back in the day ran Ford Type F fluid in everything up through the late 80's. It provided slightly firmer shifts than GM Dexron fluids.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
jfoj: you ever have any issues with your Tip?
Yes, with original fluid. At 70k the valve body was worn and shift hard like 90% of all 6 speed Tips. Pulled the valve body and had it reworked, running Mobil 1 partial, need to perform another change soon.

My car was a 100% daily city driver so in the 70k miles this think has shifted more an most transmission driving in the Washington, DC area.

Have about 15k on the trans since the valvebody was reworked and moved to Mobil 1 synthetic.

Again, way too many myths and worries about the specific ATF. Fresh WRONG or non spec ATF is FAR better than old, original, RIGHT/Spec fluid.

Do not see the overall benefit in worrying too much about the "correct" fluid as it is always being superseded anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts