NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting an 07 NBC soon and I would like to know where I could find/purchase ATF? Does the dealership do this service or do I need to find an independent to do it? Also, what are the other fluids that need to be replaced and when (like coolant, etc)?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
A lot of shops and folks use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

If you really want to get as close to the factory fluid, suggest you check this out - Vw Beetle Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Vw ATF - 09g

As for other fluids, suggest a brake fluid flush and the antifreeze possibly, but if the car has been using the VW pink G7/G8 antifreeze, this holds up pretty well.

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, also, can you tell me the difference between the 07 and 09 automatic transmission? I know that they have service interval for 09 but will they do the same for an 07 or will they refuse?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ok, also, can you tell me the difference between the 07 and 09 automatic transmission? I know that they have service interval for 09 but will they do the same for an 07 or will they refuse?
Not sure if I understand your question?

There is not likely much different between the 2007 & 2009 transmission? Maybe they had a revised valve body?? Not sure they were smart enough to finally change the materials?

When you ask about a service interval, assume you mean the transmission fluid change interval? Many of the earlier cars had "Lifetime" transmission fluid intervals. This means the fluid lasts exactly as long as the transmission. Could be 20k could be 200k miles!

Many of the manufacturers changes the intervals from "Lifetime" to a 50-60k mile service/fluid change interval. This may have been in attempt to head off some early trans failures, however, the lack of fluid change was did not really impact the life of the valve body.

·
k i t s u n e
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if i didn't elaborate enough I do that a lot! I meant to ask was I know that VW called for a different service interval on 2009's than 2007's. From what I've read in 2009 they started telling customers to change the ATF at 50k? But from 2009 and earlier they don't call for that in the manuals..so did they change that?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No idea if VW modified its transmission fluid change interval, kind of hard to get the word out after all the owners manuals are printed!

Regardless of what any of the manufacturers claim, I would HIGHLY suggest auto trans fluid changes at 50-60k at the longest.

It cannot hurt anything at all.

All fluids contaminate and break down with temperature. So again, I do suggest not only transmission fluid change but also power steering fluid change as well. Even of you extract the power steering fluid with a pump or turkey baster. Just be careful as these car do not use ATF in the power steering, they do use a special fluid that you should get from the dealer or a supplier like Blauparts.com or maybe ESCTuning.com.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
The manual for the '09 calls for AT fluid change at 40K. Not sure what the earlier years with the 09G call for, but if it changed over the years, I would imagine that it's because they figured out it wouldn't go as long as they had earlier thought (is an the "forever" AT fluid in the 01M). I would change the fluid immediately if I bought a used Beetle with 30K or more. For what it's worth, I've got Amsoil Universal synthetic AT fluid in my '09.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts