NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on the american Audi some strange things..

You don't have the Audi A1 ?
You don't have the Audi Q7 V12 TDI ?
Prices of the models are a lot cheaper than in Europe :O

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I see on the american Audi some strange things..

You don't have the Audi A1 ?
You don't have the Audi Q7 V12 TDI ?
Prices of the models are a lot cheaper than in Europe :O
We also don't have the small Volkswagen options like the Lupo or the Polo. I have always wanted the Polo as I think it would make a great commuter. The Porsche Cayenne offers the diesel stateside now. We also don't get the super efficient smaller diesels available elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We also don't have the small Volkswagen options like the Lupo or the Polo. I have always wanted the Polo as I think it would make a great commuter. The Porsche Cayenne offers the diesel stateside now. We also don't get the super efficient smaller diesels available elsewhere.

Also the Cayenne Diesel S ?

In Europe, there is a tendency to downgrade engines drastically. Smaller diesel engines but more efficiently and with more torque. Also in the super cars, the V12 makes place for V8 or even V6T.

I suppose you don't have the VW UP! as well ?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Nope, Golf/beetle is as small as we get. I remember years ago reading about a Lupo that was a diesel/electric, now that would be sweet. I don't think up would do that good in our market, just not sporty looking enough. The Smart cars don't sell all that well.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the Audi Q3 I suppose isn't available too.

Why doesn't the smart sell? Image issue? Too small?
A few years back, the smart was very popular, but nowadays you see if much lesser than before.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
We have one Audi SUV, but I can't remember which Q it is. Audi has really grown its brand here in the Phoenix area.

I just think it is the design on the Smart, not sporty looking enough for a 2 seater. Also I believe they require premium fuel which disrupts the good gas mileage in the minds of the average American, in my opinion for the mileage you get with no performance. I actually call the the not so smart cars.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have one Audi SUV, but I can't remember which Q it is. Audi has really grown its brand here in the Phoenix area.

I just think it is the design on the Smart, not sporty looking enough for a 2 seater. Also I believe they require premium fuel which disrupts the good gas mileage in the minds of the average American, in my opinion for the mileage you get with no performance. I actually call the the not so smart cars.
We have the Q3, Q5 and Q7

The smart is good for city use and for commercial use (advertising etc).
But Smart did have a nice sporty two seater (roadster) :
You had the version with the flat trunk, and the version with the glass top trunk

Of course, both of them were available in BRABUS edition

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
We have the Q3, Q5 and Q7

The smart is good for city use and for commercial use (advertising etc).
But Smart did have a nice sporty two seater (roadster) :
You had the version with the flat trunk, and the version with the glass top trunk

Of course, both of them were available in BRABUS edition

I just don't get it; that would sell here even if the mileage were not as good.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just don't get it; that would sell here even if the mileage were not as good.

How badass is this

I have driven one a few years ago, and it is really a nice car to drive. Sporty, pretty quick and excellent in the corners.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts

we have the Q5

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Audi Q3

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
This is a Smart Roadster with a 0,7liter turbo, 61 to 101 bhp (brabus version) and yes, rear wheel drive :)
.7 liter!!! That is insane. I think the smallest us engine would be a 1.4 right now, from the Fiat's which are actually selling pretty well. What kind of mileage does one get with an engine that small?

Here is the USA Audi site, it looks like we get the Q5 now.

Audi A3 > Audi of America

The Q3 looks similar to the Tiguan VW has here in the US. Also I really, really wish we would get the Amarok, love that one:

Introducing VW Amarok, the new pick up from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

I think the big thing is that Americans are so different. We love our privacy and personal space. The USA, IMO, is kind of a detached society, one author stated that the down fall of America was the electric garage door opener because people don't even talk to their neighbors anymore, they just pull into their garages and shut the door. I am guilty of it to some degree as well, but I make an effort. If my work did not buy me a bus pass I would probably drive in everyday (although I drive 18 miles to the park and ride).

I guess my point is that our market is based upon large cars, personal space and long commutes. Additionally we don't pay nearly as much for gas as the rest of the world, and we think it is currently high. How much do you pay for a liter of fuel right now? I am paying $3.40 a gallon (3.785 L) in Arizona.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.7 liter!!! That is insane. I think the smallest us engine would be a 1.4 right now, from the Fiat's which are actually selling pretty well. What kind of mileage does one get with an engine that small?

Here is the USA Audi site, it looks like we get the Q5 now.

Audi A3 > Audi of America

The Q3 looks similar to the Tiguan VW has here in the US. Also I really, really wish we would get the Amarok, love that one:

Introducing VW Amarok, the new pick up from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

I think the big thing is that Americans are so different. We love our privacy and personal space. The USA, IMO, is kind of a detached society, one author stated that the down fall of America was the electric garage door opener because people don't even talk to their neighbors anymore, they just pull into their garages and shut the door. I am guilty of it to some degree as well, but I make an effort. If my work did not buy me a bus pass I would probably drive in everyday (although I drive 18 miles to the park and ride).

I guess my point is that our market is based upon large cars, personal space and long commutes. Additionally we don't pay nearly as much for gas as the rest of the world, and we think it is currently high. How much do you pay for a liter of fuel right now? I am paying $3.40 a gallon (3.785 L) in Arizona.
One liter of fuel in Belgium is 1,70 EUR. For a gallon that is 6,43 EUR. To todays exchange rate that is about 8,35 USD for one gallon of fuel.

One liter of diesel in Belgium is 1,53 EUR. For a gallon that is 5,79 EUR. To todays exchange rate that is about 7,52 USD

:mad:

In September 2012 we reached the highest price ever, which was 9,27 USD per gallon of fuel

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was in Germany from 88 thru 01 (Mainz - Bingen area) while gas was very costly it was managable with the excellent public transportation system. In Texas as well as most of the USA, we are not set up with good public transport systems. I pray our Savior Owebama does not continue on his current course against big oil. I drive 130 miles a day to get to and from work and drive my TDI. I could not afford to drive my truck which gets 15 mpg anymore. We do not have access to the smart cars you have shown, I guess they dont meet crash standards for the US.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in Germany from 88 thru 01 (Mainz - Bingen area) while gas was very costly it was managable with the excellent public transportation system. In Texas as well as most of the USA, we are not set up with good public transport systems. I pray our Savior Owebama does not continue on his current course against big oil. I drive 130 miles a day to get to and from work and drive my TDI. I could not afford to drive my truck which gets 15 mpg anymore. We do not have access to the smart cars you have shown, I guess they dont meet crash standards for the US.
That's true, Germany and even most European countries have a very well equipped public transportation network. But we keep on driving our beloved cars regardless of the high fuel prices. In a way, we do not want to lose our mobility.

It would surprise me if the American crash standards are higher than the European ones.
I think there is just not a very big market in the States where bigger is better. Not? :)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
It would surprise me if the American crash standards are higher than the European ones.
I think there is just not a very big market in the States where bigger is better. Not? :)
I think if there was a market they would be here. I believe the Germans were the first to come up with such great safety products. I could be wrong, but I believe Mercedes was the first with airbags.

I think Americans just love there space and big cars, which is why the public transportation system sucks so bad. Well and we are so spread out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts