NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...my sony stereo in my car says its XM ready...soooo what does that mean? I'm so dumb when it comes to this stuff. Do I still need to buy an XM receiver? Do i need to have something installed? What do I have to do? I'm tired of all my CD's and the radio just plays the same crap over and over again.
Also, how much a month is it?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Amy i think all you need is the XM tuner attached to the stereo and the sat. antenna. From there you need to go online and register (online you save like $10 in registration). Since they have linked from their site to the org i suggest XM411.com and it's store myradiostore.com. Cheapest and most informed sites on the web.

Ask me anything. I'm an XM junkie...but you know this. Why else would i have a huge XM decal in my window?

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FineExampl said:
Amy i think all you need is the XM tuner attached to the stereo and the sat. antenna. From there you need to go online and register (online you save like $10 in registration). Since they have linked from their site to the org i suggest XM411.com and it's store myradiostore.com. Cheapest and most informed sites on the web.

Ask me anything. I'm an XM junkie...but you know this. Why else would i have a huge XM decal in my window?
Ahh yes...how could I forget? Okey dokey...so how do I attach the tuner to the stereo? Do i have to have someone do that for me or can I do it myself with ease?

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Ahh yes...how could I forget? Okey dokey...so how do I attach the tuner to the stereo? Do i have to have someone do that for me or can I do it myself with ease?
Well, there's tutorials on that site. I'm 100% positive i could do it in an afternoon. You may have to do some creative wiring and mounting. A bit of light disassmbling. Hmm...all the more reason for a visit the Middletown...and a garage to install in. :D

But yeah i don't think it's going to be difficult at all. Are you electronically retarded or could you follow instructions? I believe the part you need is an XMdirect tuner. Let me see if i can find out. Do you know the model stereo you have by chance?

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FineExampl said:
Well, there's tutorials on that site. I'm 100% positive i could do it in an afternoon. You may have to do some creative wiring and mounting. A bit of light disassmbling. Hmm...all the more reason for a visit the Middletown...and a garage to install in. :D

But yeah i don't think it's going to be difficult at all. Are you electronically retarded or could you follow instructions? I believe the part you need is an XMdirect tuner. Let me see if i can find out. Do you know the model stereo you have by chance?
No I dont think I'm electronically retarded although I've never tried to wire anything except light fixtures lol and that went fine. Different though I know. But I'm a smart cookie soooo.
I dont know the exact model off hand but I know its an Xplod.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Okay Amy...check this out.
Assuming your head unit is just "xm ready" these would be the parts you will need to install.

XMDSON110 XM Direct Sony Smart Adapter SONXMD100

The SONXMD110 XM Direct Sony Smart Adapter connects between your Sony car stereo and the XMD1000 XM Direct universal tuner. This combination allows you to receive digital XM Satellite Radio directly through a Sony satellite radio ready car stereo head unit. To complete the installation of an XM Direct system, the XMD1000 XM Direct Universal Tuner box must be added on to this XM Direct Smart Digital Adapter.

The Sony smart adapter is $45 on myradiostore.com and the XM direct is an additional $30. There's a rabate you can get that should snap $50 back to you on this setup as well. Might be something to look into.

How's that??:D

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FineExampl said:
Okay Amy...check this out.
Assuming your head unit is just "xm ready" these would be the parts you will need to install.

XMDSON110 XM Direct Sony Smart Adapter SONXMD100

The SONXMD110 XM Direct Sony Smart Adapter connects between your Sony car stereo and the XMD1000 XM Direct universal tuner. This combination allows you to receive digital XM Satellite Radio directly through a Sony satellite radio ready car stereo head unit. To complete the installation of an XM Direct system, the XMD1000 XM Direct Universal Tuner box must be added on to this XM Direct Smart Digital Adapter.

The Sony smart adapter is $45 on myradiostore.com and the XM direct is an additional $30. There's a rabate you can get that should snap $50 back to you on this setup as well. Might be something to look into.

How's that??:D
Cool! Thanks for the info. Now I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts