VW Beetle Forum banner

audio question from a noob

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Javier 
#1 ·
first post on the forums, been lurking for a while and gleaning a lot of good info. On to my question:

2000 beetle, purchased used. It appears someone had an amp but removed it when selling. The following was left:

1 - 8 AGW stranded power wire connected to what looks like a battery acessory termination just under the bolster panel above the hood release (fused by a large spade fuse)

1 - blue wire (looks like it comes from the back of the head unit but did not get to pull the radio out to verify. This blue 16AWG wire has battery voltage on it (12.5VDC)

1- ground wire grounded to the body

2 - RCA connetions wire to the HU, looks like some kind of converter that accepts RCA to the HU. Again, I could not pull the HU to verify.

I want to add an amp and an MTX Thunderform sub. Thunderform unit does not contain an amp.

Questions - If I want the amp to drive the speakers and sub do I need a 2-channel or 4 channel amp? Size and recommendations? Do I need a capacitor?

Many thanks in advance - Javier

See less See more
#3 ·
that blue wire is the remote wire. anyway. it really depends on what speakers your running. if the door speakers are stock then i'd replace them. how much are you willing to spend? right now i think your best bet would be to get a four channel amp, then bridge the rear channels and send them to the sub

#4 ·
stock head unit (non Monsoon). Have replaced the stock speakers with Pioneer TS-A1681R 4-way. Already a difference, but looking for a little more. I was thinking maybe an Alpine MRP-F240 for the speakers and also an Infinity Basslink powered sub (instead of the MTX thunderform). Anyone have experiences with either?

#5 ·
I did it

well, went with the Alpine amp and Basslink sub. Very pleased. Only issue I have is tapping the amp speaker outputs to the front speakers. Woud prefer to connect to the existing speaker wire inder the kick panels. Anyone have experience doing this? How did you accomplish it (the tap)

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.