NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, if I could find enough people to complete the water-cooled Beetle only club that Matty D 2009 and I have, I would focus all my attention on that, but I'm also in an all-VW club and have been since 2002, long before I even had a NB.

With that said, my all-VW club had its first meeting of 2014 today, and by vote, it was decided to no longer allow Audis at our shows. I was outvoted and think they should be included. Audi is a part of VWAG.

But I was just curious: If you are or could be in an all-VW club, would you allow Audis to participate? Why or Why not?

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Our car club definitely allows Audi. We don't hate! But then again, we're all about the people. We have members of our group that no longer own VW/Audi and still come to our events. They're still a part of our family. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't allow them to participate. :confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Our car club definitely allows Audi. We don't hate! But then again, we're all about the people. We have members of our group that no longer own VW/Audi and still come to our events. They're still a part of our family. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't allow them to participate. :confused:
This right here. We are lovers of VW/Audi, but are car lovers as a whole. We have lots who don't own VWs anymore still come to events. Its all about the passion, even if you don't own the car.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
^ AGREED! We allow Audis and Volkswagens. Yet there are some that are no longer in these cars and we still allow them to join. I do think that it is about community and the people. We are car enthusiasts.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I am guessing that most of the VW's in the club are air-cooled? I could see where a bunch of air-heads "no pun intended" wouldnt want the younger crowd that seem to gravitate towards Audi.
My local club "EuroGeeks" accepts all cars at our meets, but on show day, it "European Only".

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am guessing that most of the VW's in the club are air-cooled? I could see where a bunch of air-heads "no pun intended" wouldnt want the younger crowd that seem to gravitate towards Audi.
My local club "EuroGeeks" accepts all cars at our meets, but on show day, it "European Only".
Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. I like the people in the club, but I even feel like an outsider ever since I switched to a NB in 2009. Our annual show usually has about 60 cars, and of those, 55 will be air-cooled. I think all-VW clubs should not only include Audis, but Porsches as well. In Europe, Seats and Skodas are often included, too.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
my local VW club is made up of mostly air cooled cars, but we have several members (me included) who have water-pumpers. a couple of club members have Porsches and Audis too. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
I'm no hater. Bring on the VW's *and* Audis!

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I love NB/12+ only groups and shows, but as we all know, they are few and far between, so most of us that are passionate about our cars have two choices: A) don't join a club at all, or B) be a part of an all-VW club. Many of us will choose option B. The problem is the ongoing division that sometimes takes years to see. If you took that out of the equation, all-VW clubs/events would be much more fun.
My very first sentence in this post may sound contradictory to that, but while the situation is definitely getting better, our NBs/12+ Beetles still lag behind in the respect department in both the air-cooled and water-cooled camps. I long for a day when such division is eliminated and enthusiasts respect ALL Volkswagens (or cousins like Audis)from the earliest Split Windows to front-engined Beetles to something like a bone-stock Passat or A6. For example, I'd love to see a day when someone with something like a '55 Oval and someone with a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen are on the same page, but as long as you have clubs with a ratio of 9:1 air over water, the bias will continue, and this is exactly why they want to take Audis out of the equation......and hence, my reasons for wanting to see a revival of water-cooled-specific Beetle clubs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts