VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
High temps, seem to go hand in had with tranmission shfiting issues. A scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech; can read the trans temps, view live data and allow, viewing of reader blocks, shifter solinoid actuation, shfiter selection position, etc.

Investing, in a VW scan tool; will save you money in the long run and enable you to do diagnostics and repairs, into the future. Many shops are charging over $100 USD per hour and so, a diagnosis or even reading codes, can cost close to or more, then a VW scan tool, costs to purchase. Most of us, who have owned these older VWs; have invested, in a scan tool, as it is really the only way to cost effectiely diagnose, repair and keep these againg, German cars on the road! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
High temps, seem to go hand in had with tranmission shfiting issues. A scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech; can read the trans temps, view live data and allow, viewing of reader blocks, shifter solinoid actuation, shfiter selection position, etc.

Investing, in a VW scan tool; will save you money in the long run and enable you to do diagnostics and repairs, into the future. Many shops are charging over $100 USD per hour and so, a diagnosis or even reading codes, can cost close to or more, then a VW scan tool, costs to purchase. Most of us, who have owned these older VWs; have invested, in a scan tool, as it is really the only way to cost effectiely diagnose, repair and keep these againg, German cars on the road! ;)

Thank you for your help. I will find a diagnostic toold that will work with teh Beetle. The ones i have are for my other car (BMW).

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Font Rectangle Engineering Circle Pattern

I have removed the Valve body from the Auto gear box and then checked to see if there was any obvious signs of damage etc.
At the same time i checked the resistance for the solenoids in the unit.

Can anyone confirm if these values are correct or not?

Thank you

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Testing the shift solenoids, can be affected by thermal issues (heat); most members, report their shifting problems, occur, after the car warms up but on a cold start, shifts ok. So, testing, when the solenoids are cold; will probably, NOT give you accurate readings. You really, need to try to replicate, the real world conditions; of heat, etc, to see how the readings are. So, review some of the youtube videos; where they heat up the sensors, show how the valve sticks when hot and is ok, when cool (resistance readings; tend to be affected as well).

There are VW trans techs on youtube; that have some good videos, going over the testing, rebuilding and replacement of valve bodies, the related solenoids, installing shift kits, etc.

There are different strategies, that people have done over the years; some, that are typically experienced auto techs, have tried to rebuild the valve bodies themselves, repaired the solenoids, etc. Others, have just installed new solinoids and then, the typical fix, is getting a professionally rebuild valve body, that has been bench dyno tested, has a warranty and tech support, to back up its purchase.

·
Registered
18,616 Posts

·
Registered
18,616 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here in the USA, you can get a remanufactured valve body; typically, with all new shift solenoids and at a affordable price.

We have heard positive feedback; from members, about this rebuilder:

Thank you very much for you help and advice - much appreciated.

Last week i had ordered a remanufactured unit from ebay. The cost was decent and it has new solenoids installed etc.
That unit has been fitted and tomorrow I will finish the job by adding a new fluid filter to the unit and the transmission fluid too.

The picture shows the old unit and the reading i had obtained from the solenoids.

You are 100% correct that the thermal changes will effect the performance of the solenoids and their resistances when checked.

The issue started on my car after 15 minutes of driving or here in teh UK we had a very hot heat wave and that heat caused the issues to develope faster than normal.

I will let you know tomorrow how the replacement unit has worked out.

Thanks for your help. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
UPDATE

This morning i installed the reconditioned Valve body and put everything back together.
Added the trans fluid - 3 litres.

Started the car and waited for the car to get warm and slowly moved through the gears.

After a short time i went for a drive. To be honest there is a slight improvement but nothing amazing.

I can drive the car in 'D' but cannot go faster than 35mph before the revs shoot up and i am not moving any faster.

So, what would be causing this issue? Would the torque converter be the culprit?

Thank you

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
A scan with a vw specific scan tool; for trouble codes would be helpful. Then, i would check the trans fluid levels; which must be done at a specific fluid temp range.

Also, normally you reset the kick down settings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts