NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lookin' around trying to see if anybody has changed their shift knobs. The only ones that I've seen for the most part(and I'm jealous) have been the people who have manual transmissions.

I seen some on the web that are button-less auto shifters. You push down on them to shift gears. There are some real nice looking ones too!

So I'm wondering if anybody has photos of their modded auto-shifters . . . and E-brake levers.

I want to replace the e-brake lever because the big fat silver button that releases the lever broke on me. It still works, but it had an ugly black rubbery button under the silver one that just looks wrong.

Let's see what you got!

Thanks,
GD

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where did you see those shifters? I've always wanted something nicer looking for my auto. What would really be cool would be a lighted knob with P R D N 1 2 3 on it, just like a manual knob, just without the shift pattern.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift Knobs

The above link is where I found some of the automatic shift knobs. So far this is where I found the widest selection.

So . . . about those E-Brake handles . . . :D

GD

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
i need a new ebrake bc my button broke also. and i want a nice auto shifter and a shift boot for the e break

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Good news and bad news.

Bad News: For the e-brake, you're screwed, you need to replace it with an OEM beetle one. I'm 99.99% sure of this, someone please prove me wrong.

Good news: There's lots of stylish auto shift knobs, as you can see.

Better news: If you have a tiptronic car, you can install either one of these OEM, dead-sexy knobs:

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
I'm bettin those tiptronic knobs will work on a non tiptronic car. Only mod I did to mine was add a shift knob from a NB with leather. I found it on eBay cheap. I know it's nothing special, but at the time I thought it was pretty slick. Plus it goes well with the leather covers on my door grab handles, and the Oh $&@! handle.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
i've always kind of liked these...Momo...but i think they are like $80-$90! Not sure if I would wanna pay that much?;)

i'm also not sure how crazy i am about pushing a button DOWN rather than IN...when I see these kind of shifters, I think of POS Chevy Cavaliers :barfkiss:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
Oh something I just thought of, if you get the Audi TT shifter, make sure that it comes with the aluminum sleeve at the bottom. If not it costs a pretty penny to get and with out it, it looks really funny.

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
I can give you a 100% correct answer. The TT auto shifter, does NOT fit the normal automatics. I found out the hard way this afternoon. I can't say if it will or won't fit the Tiptronic though.

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
This afternoon I tried to replace my shifter with a TT shifter, no go since it didn't fit, but I did get the other half of my mod to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Squeebug, two questions . . .

Where did you get that boot?

How did you get it on?

And to anybody who may know the answer . . .

Do those Tiptronic automatic shifters posted by SMG fit non-Tiptronic automatic shifters?

Thanks to everyone who's responded. This is becoming very informative!!

GD

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
I got the boot from the dealer. It's the CGCC boot.

The first thing I did was remove the shifter
Then I removed the PRND321 cover
I put the boot on over the rod that the shifter attaches to
Next I put the shifter back on
After that I zip tied to boot to the bottom of the shifter
Then all you need to do is push the boot down into the console

After I move, About 2 months, I'll try and take some pics and make a How-to.

The Audi TT shifter that SMG posted will NOT fit a non-Tiptronic automatic. The rod is to big for the shifter to fit. I bought it and found out that it wouldn't fit the hard way. I would guess it's the same for the other shifter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd like to have a bot like that, but I still want the PN123R lights! I'd like to have them lighted on top of the shifter like on a manual.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts